VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. i have ffmpeg.exe - sherpya-r15666 year2008 and this is the only one that is working and ffmpeg-3.3.1-win32-static.zip doesnt run on my XP. i will try to get to this some other day but i like to ask this question now.

ffmpeg.exe -i %1 -y -r 2 xxx-%06d.BMP works on only one file at a time.

is there a way to make the batch script something like this ffmpeg.exe -i *.* ...... to execute all mp4 files in the directory? so that when i come back later, all mp4 files will be done.

by the way ffmpeg.exe -i *.* doesnt work. i have to ask this question before i fiddle around the commands too much thinking there might be a way before i waste my time too much on something that was made not to be done by designing difficulty.
    Last edited by sommers; 3rd Jun 2017 at 11:25.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The true coolness of command line utilities, is that a script in some language can call on a function for another.
    While ffmpeg has no batch functions, any script can call on ffmpeg to process a bunch of files as specified.
    You can make a batch.bat file, which tells ffmpeg what to do, e.g. convert all files in this folder.
    Baldrick had made a kind of tutorial: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/356314-How-to-batch-convert-multiplex-any-files-with-ffmpeg
    Quote Quote  
  3. >>While ffmpeg has no batch functions,
    it was good to know and i wont fiddle around with the commands, i am not familiar with ffmpeg.exe, i just started to learn how to use it.

i will get on this batch script FOR %%%V IN (%FSPEC%) DO ()..... this is gonna kill me for a while how to make it work.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by sommers View Post
    i have ffmpeg.exe - sherpya-r15666 year2008 and this is the only one that is working and ffmpeg-3.3.1-win32-static.zip doesnt run on my XP. i will try to get to this some other day but i like to ask this question now.

ffmpeg.exe -i %1 -y -r 2 xxx-%06d.BMP works on only one file at a time.

is there a way to make the batch script something like this ffmpeg.exe -i *.* ...... to execute all mp4 files in the directory? so that when i come back later, all mp4 files will be done.

by the way ffmpeg.exe -i *.* doesnt work. i have to ask this question before i fiddle around the commands too much thinking there might be a way before i waste my time too much on something that was made not to be done by designing difficulty.
    As shown in the post linked to by Case, you can use for...in...do with FFmpeg at the command line or in a batch file to do what you want.

You are still using an FFmpeg version from 2008? There are more recent ones that will work with Windows XP.

Here is a Zeranoe release from February 27, 2016 that I have been using with XP:
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    ffmpegX is a Mac only program.

Moving you to our Newbie General Forum.

Moderator redwudz
    Quote Quote  
  6. 1. ffmpeg.exe - sherpya-r15666 year2008 -- 8m bytes
    2. ffmpeg.exe V2.61 (2015) from final YOUTUBE DOWNloader -- 16m bytes
    3. ffmpeg.exe -20160227-git-5156578-win32-static_winxp -- 36m bytes

1. and 2. works well with xp in my pc and despite of the size 8m difference, i found no functional differnce in 1. and 2 so far.
    but 3. doesnt work , it doesnt start, it returns the prompt right back at me.

my pc still runs really fine and stable, except for the one thing. really long ago, i deleted some unknown registries during a registry clean up, and then later i found that DivX's codecking didnt work anymore, which had been working perfectly for years. now i have to use Xvid only for codecking. reinstalling xp is not an option. i'd rather die. you can say something like .. install this and that and then uninstall them to see if they could fix something inside.

if you have just any kind of feelings as to what is making this problem, please let me know, even wild guesses are welcome. i will try to fiddle with it. this is the possible reason maybe why 36m byte version of ffmpeg.exe doesnt work in my pc.

i have no intention to use win10, and not for a while. all scripts will be written in xp and prefected in xp before they can be applied to win10 someday. i found doing anything with win 10 was impossible.
    Last edited by sommers; 4th Jun 2017 at 05:21.
    Quote Quote  
  7. This is the most recent XP friendly version of ffmpeg I know of. It runs fine on XP for me.
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/ffmpegwindowsbi/?source=navbar

You might want to try AnotherGUI. You can save a preset for ffmpeg or some other command line encoder, drag and drop a bunch of files onto it, click "go" and let it run.
    I think by default it runs four processes at a time. You can change that to one under Preferences in order to limit it to one at a time.

Creating a custom preset is fairly self explanatory, but AnotherGUI can also save the last job it ran as a bat file, which is very handy if you bump into an error. Instead of playing trial and error modifying the preset you can run the bat file and that'll usually give you an idea of what the problem is.
    Quote Quote