VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. but when I try to copy them with either a Canon Elura 100 Mini DV or Sony TRV830 Digital8. I am using a JVC digital VHS to play them with DNR on and TBC on. I have tried running the output through a Sima color corrector. I get a Copyguard detected message when I try to record them onto my cameras and the recording stops.
    I have read that an external TBC will take out the copyguard flag, but is this true? And if it is should I disable the TBC in my DVHS?
    The only reason that I have not tried it with an external TBC is because of the cost(they seem to be very expensive) and I am fearing that the video and audio would fall out of sync.
    What should I do?
    Thanks
    Last edited by BirdDaddie; 17th Jan 2016 at 01:43.
    Quote Quote  
  2. If a TBC is what I need could someone please show me one that will work for me and does not cost a whole lot?
    Thank you
    Last edited by BirdDaddie; 17th Jan 2016 at 01:42.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why are you copying them to your camera ?

Use the camera as a pass-through device and capture them as DV to your PC (you would have to do that anyway)

AFAIK the internal TBC in a VHS is what is described as 'LINE' which is fine for correcting VHS signals. But if those tapes are copy-protected - we have no info on these are they commercial or home (home can give false info) - you would need a 'FULL-FRAME' TBC.

It may be better to declare your budget before one even starts to recc such a unit and, yes, they do not come cheap.
    Quote Quote  
  4. thanks for the reply. I am copying them to my camera because my DVHS is in the entertainment center at the other side of the house and to carry it to the computer room wouldn't be easy plus finding space for it would be very hard to do, so I record them onto mini dv or digital8 and then carry the cam to the computer and capture it. The TBC in my DVHS is full frame but I think that they insert a no copy flag when commercial tapes are played.
    I don't want to spend more than 200$ total.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I am trying running it from the vcr to the cam and then into my PC as you suggested. So far no copy guard complaints. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Does not make sense.

A full-frame TBC will handle copy protection. But there are different strains of CP - Disney are notorious bout this - so.........

I suggest, with respect, that you are mistaken about the TBC inside your DVHS.

There are others on here that will know the capabilities of your VHS but the make/model no will be required.

Here is one that should work but it is (just) outside your budget

http://www.amazon.com/AV-Tool-AVT-8710-Time-Base-Corrector/dp/B0015M48RS
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    You need a device that rebuilds the entire video frame with its own sync. This is called a "frame synchronizer." Your VCR does not contain one. The AVT8710 is a widely used and effective frame synchronizer, though all but the earliest models suffer from a flaw that you may or may not run into.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    The AVT8710 is a widely used and effective frame synchronizer, though all but the earliest models suffer from a flaw that you may or may not run into.
    If you're talking about the "morphing", I disagree.

The 8710 is doing what its developers designed it to do as a "TBC" - hold the last "good frame", and wait for the next "good frame" between "bad frames", and morph them together. And "good frame" and "bad frame" is subjective to the 8710 only, for whatever reason it believes them to be as such. But nobody's fooled for long.

This, to me, is from (bad) "design" or "intention", not "flaw" or "defect".

If the early runs of the 8710 didn't do this, then why do they have the same model number, when what clearly (to me) would've been a different design?

But if you mean the overheating, or even the "criss-cross pattern", then those would be more in the category of "flaw" or "defect" (and even more headaches with this unit).

But, I think the morphing was always there, in all mfg runs, which alone makes it a weak product. I believe Q/C only failed on cooling and a bug with filtering (needing a power cycle to reset).

Ok. Granted. I haven't tried any of the "early runs of the 8710", so I'm up to being wrong, and apologize in advance if that's the case, but as it stands now, the 8710 is an overpriced, flaky, and sub-par product using the excuse that "it's a reasonably priced full-frame TBC".

And as per the "morphing" (never mind the other problems), for the longest time, whenever I'd see this morphing, I took it as a (false) sign that there was was something wrong with my tape, or VCR, or whatnot. Sure the 8710 is capable of doing some good work, but I had to rotate multiple VCRs - for each tape - just to find the right combo that minimzes this ugly morphing effect.

This proved totally unnecessary when I changed equipment, which included a new TBC solution.

I say to the O/P, disable the VCR's internal TBC (more harm than good), get yourself a good DVR passthrough for your external TBC, and if you want MacroVision or false positives removed get yourself a Grex in the chain. This avoids you messing with the headaches and expenses of an 8710.
    Last edited by PuzZLeR; 17th Jan 2016 at 12:33.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    For what it's worth, the HM-DH5U's internal TBC actually can't be disabled.

I found that it internally clips highlights when a Macrovision-protected tape is played, but then again I also found the same thing with my AVT-8710 and apparently I'm the only person with that problem.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Vaporean800. I was thinking of you when the DH5U was mentioned.

Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    For what it's worth, the HM-DH5U's internal TBC actually can't be disabled.
    Didn't realize this. My bad.

My JVC SR-V101US gives you the option of disabling the TBC. I thought all JVC pro-units were similar.

If I were to use this unit, I would always disable the onboard TBC since I dislike what it does. But if you're stuck with having to use the TBC, then you may need that extra VCR in the chain for that particular tape that will misbehave under that JVC TBC.

Originally Posted by vaporeon800
    I found that it internally clips highlights when a Macrovision-protected tape is played, but then again I also found the same thing with my AVT-8710 and apparently I'm the only person with that problem.
    Maybe a setting you have in its proc amp?

Then again, its proc amp was 90% useless to begin with.

I'm personally done with my 8710. What I've said in this thread, about the 8710 and onboard JVC TBCs, I've also said similar things in my post here:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/374200-Help-in-connecting-an-old-TBC-to-VCR?p=24130...=1#post2413086

The best part of that post is the picture I've uploaded, and where I show how I swiped a finger across my 8710. Yes, that dust is real!
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote