VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi All!

Mac OS X Lion has no support for Rosetta, has anyone found a workaround to get ffmpegx to work?

One of my favorite features of ffmpegx is, on the video tab, being able to enter a file size and have ffmpegx automatically calculate the new dimensions. Is there any other video conversion application that does this?

Thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have bought Lion, but not installed it yet. I'll see how ffmpegX does on Lion.

From Snow Leopard, I remember the installer wanted Rosetta because of a PPC copy of gnutar in the application package. One workaround is to replace that copy with one from the OS. Then it would install without asking for Rosetta.
    See also post 2040586.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I bought and installed Lion yesterday - the error I get is about tcprobe...
    Quote Quote  
  4. To answer my own post, I've found a work-around:

1. Installed macports
    2. ran the command: sudo port install transcode
    3. right-clicked on the ffmpegx binary and selected "Show package contents", navigated to Contents/Resources
    4. opened a terminal here, and issued the command: cp /opt/local/bin/tcprobe .
    5. this copied the macports-compiled tcprobe into the ffmpegx package and replaced the ppc version of tcprobe.

This worked for me, and I would expect that you could do this for the other ppc binaries in the Resources directory.

If anyone has a better solution, please share
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hello everyone. I am going to release a 0.0.9y-Lion version with recompiled binaries. It's 90% done, I have still some issues with a few old libraries but should be done soon.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like a good solution.
    Your binary should work on other Lion machines as well. Care to share?

Edit: better wait for the new version.
    Last edited by Case; 23rd Jul 2011 at 09:41.
    Quote Quote  
  7. @major: great news! looking forward to the release. Thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  8. in the meanwhile, here is the intel binary for tcprobe
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  9. The problem of the MacPorts version is that it is not compiled statically, so it will not work on another Mac without recompiling it to get the dynamic libraries. Also in addition to tcprobe there are other ~15 PPC binaries and their libraries neeeding to be recompiled.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by major View Post
    Hello everyone. I am going to release a 0.0.9y-Lion version with recompiled binaries.
    Hi again, and thanks a lot for the upcoming version!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @major :Any news on the Lion update. Also are you working on any other versions, like a 64bit version. I would pay for a 64bit version of this software. I have been using it for almost 4-5 years and use it over any other software to convert my .avi files to .mp4
    Quote Quote  
  12. Some old sources won't recompile on gcc 4.2.1 so I need some more time to patch / upgrade them and test that they are equivalent. That should take less than a week. Later I will also work on a 0.0.9z version upgrading all the binaries to the most recent sources and adding more optimizations for multicore and x86_64 arch.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Awesome!!!! I can't wait to see it. I will be waiting for it. You've done an amazing job with this program!!!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Dear all,
    I am usually use ffmpegx with terminal opened. I discovered that also pbpaste lib is obsolete (I'using the Y release with Lion).
    If I use the ffmpegx progress program I don't obtain the same error, and I am able to convert my files.
    Below the message:
    "Launch of "pbpaste" failed: the PowerPC architecture is no longer supported."
    Anyone could tell me how to compile ffmpegx for 10.7 (or if there is someone that already done, could provide the url to download the binary compiled)
    Thanks in advance.

serbanc
    Quote Quote  
  15. As said above, a new Lion-compatible version is almost ready with the totality of binaries for Intel. Maybe it will be released this weekend if tests are positive.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by major View Post
    As said above, a new Lion-compatible version is almost ready with the totality of binaries for Intel. Maybe it will be released this weekend if tests are positive.
    That's great news! Thanks for your hard work!
    Quote Quote  
  17. Note : I did not have time to do full testing, so if you notice any bugs or difference in functionality in respect to 0.0.9y please post a bug report and I will try to fix quickly.
    Quote Quote  
  18. So fast!
    Many thanks. I will try it immediately.
    Quote Quote  
  19. The pbpaste issue has gone. Thanks
    Quote Quote