VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Still I haven't gotten it quite right which hardware to buy.

So far I know that to digitalize the analog video I need one of the following:
    Analog/Digital Converter like Canopus TwinPact 100 or Dazzle DVC 150 or
    Camcorder with passthrough feature like Sony DCR-TRV480, DCR-TRV350, DCR-TRV828, Sony TR-7000/8000 etc or
    PC capture card like Hauppauge HVR2200, ATI TV Wonder HD 650 or other devices in that series, Blackmagic Intensity Pro

For the reason there is so much to choose from I'm confused. Personally I think I get best quality with PC capture cards. What's the opinion of experienced restorers?

Furthermore, to enhance the output video quality I should use Time Base Correctors like AVT-8710 or TBC-1000. And to further iprove quality I should use Proc Amp's like Elite BVP-4 Plus, Vidicraft Proc Amp, Signvideo Proc Amp, Sima SCC, Leitch VPA 331N, Detailers like SignVideo DR-1000 Image Enhancer, Vidicraft Detailer III or Audio/Video Processors like Vidicraft AVP-100, Vidimate VDM-200, VDM-300S.

First of all, I would like to know what is the difference between Proc Amp's, Detailers and Audio/Video Processors. I know as much that Audio/Video Processor allows me in addition to enhance the video, to also add narration or backround music to videos on VHS, but thats worn out possibility for present day. To make a long story short I would like to know which would be the choice of experienced restorers? Which device has best price/quality ratio? Do I have to buy Proc Amp in addition to Detailer or Video Processor or are all those devices basically one and the same?

Moreover, in the final phase, I can burn video directly to DVD with DVD Player or burn it on DVD on PC. Is there any quality differnece between these choices? Which devices to use as DVD Players? At present I have Panasonic ES-10, but I have read that it's not a good idea to use it as DVD burner.

Finally, which really is the first step , I have to use quality VCR to verify that I get vest quality out of the VHS. For that I should use SVCR like JVC HR-S9800U, JVC SR-V10U, JVC SR-W5U VCR, JVC SR-V10E, JVC SR-V10, JVC SR-W5U/W7U, JVC HR-S9900U, JVC HR-S9911U, JVC HR-S9500U or DVCR like JVC HM-DH30000U, JVC HM-DH40000U, JVC HM-DH5U, Mitsubishi HS-HD2000U

Looking forward to your answers.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Probably better asked and answered in our Restoration Forum. Moving you.
    Quote Quote  
  3. You can find a lot of your answers on our restoration forum threads. For example, take a look at this thread for excellent descriptions and discussions about proc amps, detailers, and the like:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/182886-Hardware-Video-Processors-and-Filters

And this thread for VCR discussion:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/286055-VCR-buying-guide-%28S-VHS-D-VHS-Professional%29

It can take awhile, but just take some time reading these threads and some of the other length ones...I bet you'll find your answers. IMO, start with one of the recommended VCRs, and then add a TBC if needed and (if desired) a proc amp. Good luck.
    Quote Quote