VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When I record old 4:3 classic movies from TV tuner I often get these. Is there a way to avoid this? Can they be removed after recording with apps like Handbrake?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Have you ever used Handbrake before? Do you know what Handbrake is or does exactly?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It is called overscan, and you could get rid of it, but I think you would need to use a program other than Handbrake to do it. You need something that can replace the unwanted lines with a thin black border at the top of the screen. You'd still need to re-encode your recordings of course. Overscan is so ubiquitous with DTV that I've learned to ignore it. IMO removing it takes too much time and it is too much trouble to go to unless you plan re-encode anyway for some reason.

[Edit] Forget this it fixes a different overscan problem {The advice I remember seeing said to use FitCD to generate an avisynth script to use with your favorite encoder. I have never tried it, but the person who suggested it is very skilled in such matters.

There is a short beginner's guide to FitCD here: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/237369-xvid-to-DVD-resolution-and-aspect-ratio-woes} [End Edit]
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 25th Apr 2010 at 10:48.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    I often use Avidemux.
    I can delete the lines in the "crop option".
    And "resize" after to the resolution i want.
    (Script is not needed)
    Last edited by chrchr; 25th Apr 2010 at 10:43.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I finally found the post where I saw this advice for using FitCD and Avisynth to correct overscan but it was for fixing a different overscan problem.

Cropping and resizing is not the best way to fix your problem because it will distort the video slightly. Masking the overscan lines won't introduce that defect. I just can't seem to find the instructions for doing it. I will keep looking unless somebody else types them first.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 25th Apr 2010 at 11:54.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    "...because it will distort the video..."

Is there a way for having this problem fixed, WITHOUT any kind of... "reenconding"?
    I'm always curious, and i always like to learn.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by chrchr View Post
    Is there a way for having this problem fixed, WITHOUT any kind of... "reenconding"?
    Not if it's already captured. Some capture devices have the ability to crop the frame before saving the data.

By the way, the flickering lines at the top of the picture are the "line 21" data. That includes closed captioning and other data. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EIA-608
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To remove the unwanted lines and replace them with a black border using an Avisynth script, you would use the "Crop" function and then the "Add Borders" function. I would guess the "crop" filter and "add black borders" filter would do the same if you prefer to use avidemux. Test parameters on a short clip until you get something that looks right. If the masked area is too obvious, you could split it. (Add part at the top and part at the bottom.)
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    To remove the unwanted lines and replace them with a black border using an Avisynth script, you would use the "Crop" function and then the "Add Borders" function. I would guess the "crop" filter and "add black borders" filter would do the same if you prefer to use avidemux. Test parameters on a short clip until you get something that looks right. If the masked area is too obvious, you could split it. (Add part at the top and part at the bottom.)
    I know the little things, I have to know in avisynth for MY needs!
    And i hate borders.
    However, i wouldn't start a hobby with scripts-learning.
    Do you agree?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by chrchr View Post
    I know the little things, I have to know in avisynth for MY needs!
    And i hate borders.
    However, i wouldn't start a hobby with scripts-learning.
    Do you agree?
    No, I wouldn't (and didn't) start with scripts either. I just began using them recently, in a small way.

However, like me the OP has been a member here since 2006. Perhaps he is also ready to learn about them, if he hasn't already tried using them.

[Edit] The borders that would be added are only going to be a few pixels high, especially if split. They just replace a very small part of the original picture with something that is less distracting. If you prefer mildly distorted video to a tiny, barely visible letterbox border, you can certainly continue cropping and resizing.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 25th Apr 2010 at 13:29.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To remove the unwanted lines and replace them with a black border using an Avisynth script, you would use the "Crop" function and then the "Add Borders" function.
    Faster and easier is the Letterbox function, which combines Crop and AddBorders in one.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I looked at a 480i ATSC recording that shows the flickering white dashes. They occupy the top four lines of the video in that recording.

Avisynth's "Letterbox" filter would work very well if someone just wanted to fill those 4 lines with black. If they wanted to get rid of the flickering white dashes and spit the border (add 2 black lines at the top and 2 black lines at the bottom), they would need to use the "Crop" filter and "Add Borders" filter instead.

I looked at the documentation for Avidemux again. It looks like the "Blacken Borders" filter would be equivalent to Avisynth's "Letterbox" filter, if someone wanted to use something equivalent for that software.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 25th Apr 2010 at 18:13. Reason: grammar
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by Gavino View Post
    Faster and easier is the Letterbox function
    LOL. I never noticed that function.

Avisynth's "Letterbox" filter would work very well if someone just wanted to fill those 4 lines with black. If they wanted to get rid of the flickering white dashes and spit the border (add 2 black lines at the top and 2 black lines at the bottom), they would need to use the "Crop" filter and "Add Borders" filter instead.
    That wouldn't work right with interlaced YV12.
    Last edited by jagabo; 25th Apr 2010 at 20:43.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    That wouldn't work right with interlaced YV12.
    Which one(s) wouldn't work right? I assume you mean splitting the lines won't work. ...or are you also saying that replacing the 4 offending lines with 4 black lines is going to be unsuccessful as well?

What number of lines will work? The documentation for the filters doesn't specify a minimum, let alone a minimum based on the characteristics of the video.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Sorry, I was referring to cutting 4 lines off the top the restoring the frame size with 2 lines at the top and 2 lines at the bottom. That will screw up the chroma channels of interlaced YV12 video. Always use Mod4 with interlaced YV12. So crop 4 at the top restore 4 at the top. If for some reason you cropped 8 lines at the top you could safely restore with 4 top and 4 bottom (although, if you're going with MPEG encoding using 8 at the top would be more efficient and would avoid DCT ringing artifacts at the sharp edge).
    Quote Quote