VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My goal here is to author the DVD with a menu WITHOUT LOSING QUALITY! (AutoGK was just for iPod usage and public sharing)

I try to import it with TMPGEnc, error. I try to convert to MPG with VOB2MPG, error. I try to back up with DVDShrink (like in this thread: https://forum.videohelp.com/topic317933.html), error. I try to convert to AVI with AutoGK, the video plays too fast and the audio winds up 15 minutes behind, and there's weird green residue on the bottom.

Here's the Gspot (5 VOB files, all of them are 882 MB except the last, which is like 300 MB):

Any help is appreciated! There's people counting on me and I'm counting on you people![/url]
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know if it's a problem, but the bit rate for the DVD is 10k? I thought the max for the DVD standard was like 8-9K?

Did you actually decrypt the video first?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Are you talking about the Sys. bitrate? It's been like that for other DVDs and they've worked fine. Besides, I've been told that it's not the bitrate that matters.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    10080 is max DVD spec. It's fine.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You are in the US but the DVD you have is PAL. Are you leaving it as PAL or using settings for NTSC? If you are that would explain why it is running fast, 25 frames per second video is being displayed at 29.97 frames per second. The difference in frame resolution (720 x 576 for PAL compared with 720 x 480 for NTSC) may explain the ramdom green blocks at the bottom of the picture. As AutoGK was partially successful, try it again but making sure you have PAL settings selected.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Richard_G
    You are in the US but the DVD you have is PAL. Are you leaving it as PAL or using settings for NTSC? If you are that would explain why it is running fast, 25 frames per second video is being displayed at 29.97 frames per second. The difference in frame resolution (720 x 576 for PAL compared with 720 x 480 for NTSC) may explain the ramdom green blocks at the bottom of the picture. As AutoGK was partially successful, try it again but making sure you have PAL settings selected.
    Alright, cool, thanks, I figured the AGK problem had something to do with PAL. But what about authoring with a menu?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried demultiplexing with DVD Decrypter to elementary streams? If the DVD is actually legal spec that will give you the files to work from to author with no re-encoding.
    Is the original disc a mini DVD-r from a camcorder? I've had problems with these before, showing incorrect filesizes in GSpot, crashing DVDShrink etc.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gsh
    Have you tried demultiplexing with DVD Decrypter to elementary streams? If the DVD is actually legal spec that will give you the files to work from to author with no re-encoding.
    Is the original disc a mini DVD-r from a camcorder? I've had problems with these before, showing incorrect filesizes in GSpot, crashing DVDShrink etc.

Also this is a VHS > DVD transfer with unknown equipment or programs in England which is over 9,000 miles away from me. No way of finding out what programs were used.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Alright I demuxed (as far as my FAT32 drive could take it; the whole DVD is filled to the brim filesize-wise) and tried to reload it in TMPGEnc, and the audio (both the raw LPCM and converted WAV) is 12 seconds longer and out of sync with the video.

The video is 62 minutes and over 4 GB but the last few minutes don't matter anyway (I checked, everything important is still there). Is the early abort by DVD Decrypter the root of the sync issue, or was that going to happen anyway? And how do I fix it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Salva Veritate
    Alright I demuxed (as far as my FAT32 drive could take it; the whole DVD is filled to the brim filesize-wise) and tried to reload it in TMPGEnc, and the audio (both the raw LPCM and converted WAV) is 12 seconds longer and out of sync with the video.

The video is 62 minutes and over 4 GB but the last few minutes don't matter anyway (I checked, everything important is still there). Is the early abort by DVD Decrypter the root of the sync issue, or was that going to happen anyway? And how do I fix it?
    You claim to be running WinXP but are using FAT32 instead of NTFS ... like DUH ... that's probably your issue right there.

There is a way from within WinXP (I forget how or where it is) to convert your FAT32 to NTFS without having to re-format and loose your data.

No reason you should be using FAT32 with WinXP when doing video work of this nature.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well this computer is roughly 5 years old. When I got it I was more concerned about using it to write a book report on Holes than for advanced video editing.

If I manage to switch to NTFS will it fix the sync? I've been meaning to do it for a while but I've never had an excuse lol.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well this computer is roughly 5 years old. When I got it I was more concerned about using it to write a book report on Holes than for advanced video editing.

If I manage to switch to NTFS will it fix the sync? I've been meaning to do it for a while but I've never had an excuse lol.

How to Use Convert.exe to Convert a Partition to the NTFS File System
    Fairly painless. Lets you use files over 4 GB.

Nothing to do with sync. As mentioned, that's probably NTSC/PAL problem.

Try experimenting with short clips till you get your method right.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is getting ridiculous. I tried to convert to NTSC using ProCoder, but the moment the IFO file appeared, my computer restarted automatically. Tried this a few times with the same result. Help!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This is getting ridiculous. I tried to convert to NTSC using ProCoder, but the moment the IFO file appeared, my computer restarted automatically. Tried this a few times with the same result. Help!
    If this is a cracked illegal version of the program, I'm not surprised. Not to accuse you of anything, but I see far too many people griping about software when I doubt they own it (I can assure you the non-hacked/non-cracked version is perfectly fine). The only complaints I get on certain pieces of software (DVDWS2, Procoder, and Premiere .. namely) are from people using cracked copies. Well, duh!

Just a word of warning, if that's something you've done.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry to be a couple of days late with this, but why are you trying to convert to NTSC? You said in your first post that you wanted to author it with a menu without losing any quality. So leave it as it is. Converting to NTSC is only adding complications to something you are having enough difficulty with anyway and will result in a loss of quality.
    Quote Quote