VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,

I burn .avi DVD rips downloaded off the net to CD-RW using Nero and play in my Toshiba SD-3990 DVD player. At some point the movie just stops playing and DVD player displays disk menu with file name in it. I can watch these no problem as files on my computer using VLC SW.

Is it MPEG encoding issue? I.e. DVD player software doesn't recognize something or is it something else?

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by leonk
    Hi all,

I burn .avi DVD rips downloaded off the net to CD-RW using Nero and play in my Toshiba SD-3990 DVD player. At some point the movie just stops playing and DVD player displays disk menu with file name in it. I can watch these no problem as files on my computer using VLC SW.

Is it MPEG encoding issue? I.e. DVD player software doesn't recognize something or is it something else?

thanks
    Computers will play anything provided the correct decoders are installed ... dvd players wont .

Cdrw - bad
    Nero to do the work - bad

Use gspot to find out the internal info of the avi first ... it may have Qpel or one of a few other items that dvd players , which support mpeg4 play back , dont support .
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Cdrw - bad

Care to offer alternatives? why cdrw and nero are "bad"?

I don't know what qpel is.

gspot says video is XviD 1.1.2 Final
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    CDRWs are 'bad' because a DVD player may or may not have problems with using them.
    Nero is often considered 'bad' by a number of people on this forum if you're using it for anything other than burning. It should be fine if you're just burning a straight data CD/DVD.

DVD players that play DivX/Xvid AVIs may have problem with QPEL (forgot what this is off the top of my head...), GMC (global motion compensation) and packed bitstream. GSpot has indicators just below the field where the video codec an AVI uses that will light up if it has any of those three.

Also, some players may have a problem with VBR audio in an AVI (though as far as I've seen, they're getting better about it... mine actually doesn't have a problem with most of the VBR audio I throw at it ) and may require the resolution of an AVI to be DVD resolution (720x) or lower.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ai Haibara View Post
    DVD players that play DivX/Xvid AVIs may have problem with QPEL (forgot what this is off the top of my head...), GMC (global motion compensation) and packed bitstream. GSpot has indicators just below the field where the video codec an AVI uses that will light up if it has any of those three.
    Also, some players may have a problem with VBR audio in an AVI (though as far as I've seen, they're getting better about it... mine actually doesn't have a problem with most of the VBR audio I throw at it ) and may require the resolution of an AVI to be DVD resolution (720x) or lower.
    so if it shows that it has QPEL or the others... what can you do?

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/328453-My-phillips-dvp3980-Stops-playing-movies-3-4...he-way-through
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You'll most likely have to re-encode the video. Standalone DVD players capable of playing DivX/Xvid are usually fairly picky, and may refuse to play a video if it has any of the 'problems' listed in this post.

An easy way to (relatively) guarantee an AVI will play on your 3980 would be to run it through AVI Recomp or AutoGK (with the ESS option enabled); both will re-encode the video to work with a standalone DVD/DivX/Xvid player. But only re-encode if necessary, of course.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by leonk View Post
    Cdrw - bad

Care to offer alternatives? why cdrw and nero are "bad"?

Nero is OK for burning data discs, audio CDs and burning from images (ie. ISO, etc.). It should be avoided for other tasks such as burning DVDs (I mean DVD format, not data discs on DVD). ImgBurn is free and recommended for burning. If you go here:
    http://www.digital-digest.com/~blutach/pgcedit_guide/burning_with_pgcedit/burning_with...pgcedit_v2.htm
    scroll to the bottom and look at the section called "TECHNICAL INFORMATION REGARDING 32K GAPS". Basically Nero destroys the entire reason that BUP files exist and makes them completely useless and this is why you should not burn DVD format with Nero. Nero also does not quite follow the standards for VCD and SVCD should you be interested in those ancient formats and as a result the discs it produces may have playback issues on standalone players.

As leonk says your player may not support AVI well on CD-RW, but if you want to use these discs it's really best to only use Verbatim brand CD-RWs - in my opinion.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This is why have a WDTV and a hacked XBOX.
    I can play pretty much anything, and from a USB stick. No discs, no codec problems, etc.

It's gotten where I can archive a lot of video to hard drives.
    (With a DVD backup copy of the data files, for good measure, of course.)
    The only time I use the DVD player is to watch a rental, a bought DVD, or something I made in years past.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    The AVi file (Xvid) is not indexed properly when it was created. You can use the utility MPGMODIFER (something like that, its a real small thing) to rewrite the file, without re-encoding, with an index. The easiest way i have found to just re-index (since there is not that option) is to turn the BitPacked flag to the opposite value. If yes then change to no and vice versa. In a matter of seconds the file is rewritten and indexed properly. Should play fine after that. The file size doesn't matter. I have 2gb files that are 3 hours long and they play fine.

I have tested this and works flawless.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    So for your FIRST post you dug up a 2 year old, no wait, 5 year old thread

Oy Vey.....
    Need I really go into anything else......
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    FIRST-

I had the same problem. I found a way to resolve it so I figured I would pass it along since nobody had the answer (yes, not even you) if you don't want the help, don't read it. Apparently u did not read this issue has not been resolved. In my effort to find an answer, I did and it has worked thus far. This is help to an issue. If you found another way, great. No need to bash people that are trying to help.

LASTLY-

Since I found the answer I figured other people would like to know as well. Hence why I posted on this thread since no other threads of this issue are up to date.

Thanks for being a DICK.
    Goodluck with that.
    Quote Quote