VideoHelp Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I would like to add an automatically instant ban to everyone that uses "best" in the subject.....

or I could add an error message when you try and post a subject with best.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick
    I would like to add an automatically instant ban to everyone that uses "best" in the subject.....

When i saw the title the first thing i thought was, you gotta be F'n kidding me!!! not another one

Just the word "best" at all, even in a sentance or just using the word alone like you did

opening this thread was the first good laugh i had today
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Haven't you already restricted use of the word "help" or something similar ?

I just continually point people to my entry for "Best" in the post your glossary additions here thread:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?p=1388992#1388992
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. This is the BEST thread I have seen today.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've got an idea - when someone asks "what's BEST", point them to this web page for help - http://www.petebest.com/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What if somebody is talking about deals at Best Buy? Also, excluding the word "best" from the message body would be too much, as it would limit the language use. Besides, after reading the rules, the "whats' best" people will find other ways to ask the same question. Like: "What's the greatest ...", etc. I think this problem should be solved on thread by thread basis by moderators.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I like the error message idea. Something that warns them that they will be subjected to unbridled ridicule if they continue.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Anything with:

Best

Problem with....

Ok so....

Help

I searched but....

I could go on and on!

BANNED BANNED BANNED!!!!!
    No DVD can withstand the power of DVDShrink along with AnyDVD!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Best is only in the eyes of the peep.

Different peep, different "best"

Originally Posted by Soopafresh
    I've got an idea - when someone asks "what's BEST", point them to this web page for help - http://www.petebest.com/
    I vote for that.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  10. Serene Savage Shadowmistress's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Why not just supply them with a link to search results of threads that have already discussed the best "whatever they're talking about". They'll have pages and pages of posts to read that way and they'll get the message faster as to why they shouldn't be starting another "best" thread. Then lock.

I just tried to run a search on only the term "best" in the topic title and got over 37,000 hits. I'm thinking one would have better luck if they narrowed the search parameters down a bit.
    Quote Quote  
  11. btw...I'm a noob. What is the BEST encoder?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Shadowmistress
    Why not just supply them with a link to search results of threads that have already discussed the best "whatever they're talking about".
    AFAIK you can't actually do this, because all searches use the search.php URL and don't contain the arguments used

... although it wouldn't be too hard to include the arguments and options used in the URL I wouldn't think.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think the "best" thing to do, is ignore the post. If nobody answered, then maybe they'll learn a leason.
    I stand up next a mountain and chop it down with the ledge of my hand........ I'm a Voodoo child.... Jimi Hendrix,
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Though I hate those topics just as much as the next, this is a bit harsh
    I could add an error message when you try and post a subject with best.
    I like this idea - but you know then we'll end up with topics like B.E.S.T. Encoder, b3st this, b-e-s-t that... just like spammers keep finiding ways to circumvent the system; It's a lost cause; there'll always be lazy people that want others to think for them and hold their hand
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Edmund Blackadder
    What if somebody is talking about deals at Best Buy? Also, excluding the word "best" from the message body would be too much, as it would limit the language use.
    They could just as easily put "TDK DVD+R DL $19.99 at BB", then explain in the body of the post (if needed).

I don't see any "laguage use" barriers. If people want to know what's the "best", they can simply look in the reviews section, which shows the "best", as well as reasons behind such a score.

Originally Posted by HillJack
    I like this idea - but you know then we'll end up with topics like B.E.S.T. Encoder, b3st this, b-e-s-t that... just like spammers keep finiding ways to circumvent the system; It's a lost cause; there'll always be lazy people that want others to think for them and hold their hand
    There could be a message to the effect that "best" or any derivation cannot be in the title, subkect to a ban.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Over at doom9 it's against the rules to ask "what's the best ... ". The moderates there give you an informal warning if you ask what's best and if you don't edit your post they'll give you a strike. I've often thought that a similar rule here might be good.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    "Bald Rick - The BEST Mod" would have to be banned too...
    :P

But Im for it, ban it, and add an auto-issue of a yellow card for any attempt of posts with subjects like "what is the best ..." at least it would weed out all the complete morons/idiots out of here

Subjects just from past few days:

What Software is best {IMO} for taking Video Game Snapshots?
    what is the best way to copy my seasons discs?
    Whats the best way to fix dvd scratches?
    what is the best virtualdub is it virtualdubmod????
    Which is the best video editor
    The Best Compressor and DivX converter
    best all in one dvd - xvid tool
    What is the best 50" Plasma HD TV
    Best way to see compression artifacts.
    what are the best dvd-r and dvd+r brands to buy?
    The best dvd to avi converter????

etc...
    I havent read any of them, but Im sure they all are pointless
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Removing BEST from Vhelp is like removing a vowel from the english alphabet !

Or give them a bashing or flame them... I bet it will be very entertaining !
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ...or we could just continue to ridicule the OP.
    Perhaps a "Best "What's the best..." retorts" repository, like the STFU pic gallery?
    Seriously, I'm getting tired of all those best threads too, and had thoghts on the same line as Mr B.
    Doom9's rules would fit nicely.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

i was wondering? what is the best video help website on the internet? lol :P
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Juust make it a yellow card offense.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  23. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Can we have our own little clippy style mascot to pop up and say "It looks like your starting a stupid thread! Need some help?"
    Quote Quote  
  25. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pchan
    Removing BEST from Vhelp is like removing a vowel from the english alphabet !
    Y ?

Best should be banned from the subject line. People posting about Best Buy or similiar could easily change their subject and just include Best Buy in their original post. It's somewhat annoying when people ask for the best software or the best hardware or the best media or other similiar subjective best material. Best is in the opinion of others. Everyone has a different opinion. Therefore there truely is no best anything. There is only opinions of what each individual classifies as the best in whatever subject being discussed.

Ban best from the subject line but not from the post contents.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by Baldrick
    Fastest growing DVD help site in the world, on what facts are they basing this statement.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Craig Tucker
    Fastest growing DVD help site in the world, on what facts are they basing this statement.
    Damn mine's growing like gas prices then.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yes but it is kinda funny when a noob asks "what's the best?" and suddenly we have 30 'pros' arguing why thier way is better (but not best)! poor noob!...
    I am just a worthless liar,
    I am just an imbecil
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    "The best" can only be decided upon when there are criteria and requirements by which to judge the candidates.

"What is the best car?"

Well, the best car for racing could be something like an F1 car or and Indy Car. But the best car for going to the shops will be totally different. The best car for taking the family on holiday will be different from the best car for picking up chicks / guys.

So, when anyone asks "what's the best" remind them that "the best" can only be decided upon when there are criteria and requirements by which to judge the candidates, and then simply ask them to define their requirements.

That way, there's no flaming, no-one feeling stupid, no "30 pros arguing" - just some suitable suggestions.

Yours, Plato.
    There is some corner of a foreign field that is forever England: Telstra Stadium, Sydney, 22/11/2003.

Carpe diem.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Originally Posted by daamon
    "What is the best car?"
    My car, without a doubt.
    Quote Quote