VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm currently using my father's Nero 6.6. I'm ok with the video aspect of it, but I am concerned about the audio bit rate. I am recording AVIs onto a DVD and these AVIs are intentionally set at an audio rate of 320kbs. After I put it onto DVD using Nero, is there anyway to check to see if Nero has changed the audio bit rate?

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Use GSpot to check your file before and after.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, you can do this. IFOEdit can do it and it's what I'd use, but if you're not familiar already with how to use it you'll need to find a guide. Or you could just keep opening VOB files until you find the main one for your movie and hopefully you'll understand how to read the output.

Tools like GSpot and similar programs can probably do it. For reasons I don't understand, some tools that can report audio bit rate don't report the true bitrate but some weird figure derived from taking the audio bitrate and dividing it by the number of channels, so 2 channel audio at 320 Kbps might get reported as 160 Kbps or maybe something bizarre like 154 Kbps (some tools give really weird results here that can't possibly be correct). That's why I use IFOEdit for this kind of thing - it reports a correct, human readable value.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried that and it lists no other info on the audio other than that it's dvd lpcm or something to that effect.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    LPCM has a fixed bit rate of 1536 Kbps, so yes, Nero is changing your bit rate if it is producing LPCM audio. LPCM audio is identical to the source, but it takes up a lot of space so unless you video is 1 hour or less, it's generally not a good idea to use LPCM. I'm guessing that you may not have purchased Nero's plugin for producing AC3 audio, so that's why you're getting LPCM.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks jman, where can I get nero's plugin for producing AC3 audio?

thanks
    Quote Quote