VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Hi
    I bought the Elgato game capture HD, Only problem i have is that i dont have a hdmi port on my laptop. So what i was thinkig of doing was buying a USB to HDMI converter (see here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1080P-USB-PC-to-HDMI-HD-Graphics-Converter-Video-Adapter-W-3...item2c65f3d8e1) and where im supposed to put the hdmi lead into my laptop instead put it into the converter and then the converter into the laptop, but before buying the converter i thought id ask here if this will work without any problems?
    thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What are you trying to do? Record the laptop's video card's output?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Assuming you're trying to record the laptop's video output... If the laptop has a DVI connector you can use a DVI to HDMI cable.
    Quote Quote  
  4. It doesnt have a dvi but it does have a vga port
    Quote Quote  
  5. would a vga to hdmi lead to work like here
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    VGA to HDMI cables are a waste of money. They simply allow a VGA signal to travel over HDMI cabling. They do not convert a VGA signal (analog) to an HDMI signal (digital).
    Quote Quote  
  7. ok so what do you suggest will the converter i put in my first post work with the elgato then?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Something like this converts laptop VGA out plus audio out to HDMI, but I have no idea which models are any good. 1024x768@60Hz seems to be the recommended resolution for all of the ones I have looked at.

[Edit] Some reviews for USB to HDMI converters complain about fuzzy text or poor picture quality.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 23rd Sep 2013 at 12:00.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Why don't you use screen capture on the laptop instead?

By the way, those USB graphic adapters basically add an additional external graphics device. They're ok for desktop applications but don't do well with high definition video because of the low USB bandwidth.
    Quote Quote  
  10. screen capture? no point as i already have the game capture hd card so thats why i wanted to know if the coverter i posted in my first post would work with the game capture hd you see,

also @usually_quiet i dont live in the usa as im in the uk and the person selling it doesnt ship to the uk but is THIS the same thing ad will it 100% work with my laptop and the elgato game capture hd?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by brookey12 View Post
    also @usually_quiet i dont live in the usa as im in the uk and the person selling it doesnt ship to the uk but is THIS the same thing ad will it 100% work with my laptop and the elgato game capture hd?
    That adapter doesn't have its own power source. It draws current from the VGA connection. As a rule, passively powered video converters are not as good as those with their own power source.

[Edit]I didn't see that the mini adapter you linked to connects to the laptop for power with a mini USB cable. Since I do not know which if any VGA to HDMI converters are especially good, and laptop users tend to put a premium on not having to plug things into the wall, you may be pleased with it. There are similar-looking things sold in the US that get good reviews.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 23rd Sep 2013 at 13:33.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Ok so i have another problem now, Im trying to connect my Game Catpure HD to my Sky HD Box, (Misses has to much stuff so was going to transfer it to pc for her to watch) Anyway when i try to connect it i get the HDCP error So i have the component output on the receiver (red white yellow) only thing is as i bought the game capture HD from Ebay it didnt come with the Component adapter so i bought this http://www.ebay.com/itm/150673436362?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649But for some reason it isnt working, Am i doing anything wrong?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Yellow is composite not component. It only carries standard definition video.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You have got your connections totally wrong.

It is hdmi from your console to the elgato then usb from the elgato to the laptop.

If you get no signal it is because the console is sending hdcp ie copy protected signal over hdmi. So Xbox should work. PS3 will not. IIRC.

And that is why there should be a component to a/v cable in the box.
    Quote Quote  
  15. ok so what are you trying to say? the lead wont work or??
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    You have got your connections totally wrong.

It is hdmi from your console to the elgato then usb from the elgato to the laptop.

If you get no signal it is because the console is sending hdcp ie copy protected signal over hdmi. So Xbox should work. PS3 will not. IIRC.

And that is why there should be a component to a/v cable in the box.

I know but im not doing the PS3 thing right now i need help with the SKY + HD receiver as said above, and as i said above there wasn't a component cable with it for some reason so thats why i asked if the link i provided above was the right one to work from the elgato to the receiver you see
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Yellow is composite not component. It only carries standard definition video.
    ok so what are you trying to say? the lead wont work or??
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    But if you knew why create the topic in the first place ?

OK. I guess that the $ky box is also sending hdcp. The cable that comes with the elgato is possibly a special-made-to-order. Contact elgato to see if they can issue a replacement 'for the one that is broken'

If you want to record from the $ky box, you can connect a scart lead from that. The signal will be SD not HD but you still have the issue with connecting that to the elgato. That is not designed for this without such a connector.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    But if you knew why create the topic in the first place ?

OK. I guess that the $ky box is also sending hdcp. The cable that comes with the elgato is possibly a special-made-to-order. Contact elgato to see if they can issue a replacement 'for the one that is broken'

If you want to record from the $ky box, you can connect a scart lead from that. The signal will be SD not HD but you still have the issue with connecting that to the elgato. That is not designed for this without such a connector.
    My apologies what i meant when i said i know was id fixed the problem that i had when i first created the topic, my apologies,

Now with the cable i just bought (See Here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/150673436362?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649)

i also have this :

Would that cable work if i connected it to the elgato and to that connector (see pic) to the back of the sky box?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That connector is scart to composite.

The issue still remains of that a/v connector on the elgato.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    That connector is scart to composite.

The issue still remains of that a/v connector on the elgato.
    Ok is there anyway around this what exactly do i need to get it to work? i dont mind buying something to get it to work and thanks for helping me its really appreciated
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Useless. Read the spec for the cable ie what it is meant for.

Have a close look at the elgato manual and see if there is ant written spec for that a/v connector. I did look but could not find anything that fits the bill but there may be something.

Again, your best bet is to contact elgato and buy a replacement.

You bought this on ebay. Was is advertised as new ?. If so it should have come with the cable.
    Quote Quote  
  23. The component cable that comes with the Elgato Game Capture HD has 5 connectors: red, green, and blue RCA for component video and red/white RCA for audio. At the other end is a 7 pin mini din connector like the composite adapter you have.
    Name:  component-adapter.png
Views: 9478
Size:  14.9 KB
    I don't know if the Game Capture HD can capture composite video (I've never tried it), but even if it can, it's not likely the adapter you bought routes the yellow composite video connector to the right pin on the Game Capture HD. There is no standard for which pins of the 7 pin mini din are connected to which signal at the other end. Every manufacturer does it differently. So even if you find some other 7 pin mini din to component cable there's no guarantee it will work. Get the genuine El Gato adapter.

Saw this for composite:
    http://support.elgato.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=4633&g...englishdefault

The component cable may work for composite video. Often the green component input is shared with the yellow composite input (because both carry the horizontal and vertical sync).
    Last edited by jagabo; 2nd Oct 2013 at 11:05.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Ok so ill take your advice and contact elgato which ive just done and awaiting a reply, so if i buy this off Elgato (Ive found this here: http://www.elgato.com/online-store) then what else do i need to buy with it please to get it to work with the sky hd receiver? something like this (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-5M-Triple-Phono-3-RCA-AV-Audio-Video-Cable-Lead-Gold-3-RCA...-/380715042490) to connect the red yellow and white from receiver to the elgato cable (jagabo's pic above) to the elgato itself?Sorry if im annoying you guys it really does mean a lot you guys helping a total amateur like myself out!
    Quote Quote  
  25. Oh, I just noticed that on the page that shows the composite adapter it says you can also use the component adapter by plugging the the composite source into the red component connector.

Click image for larger version

Name:	gchd_composite.jpg
Views:	11724
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	20292

You might be able to use the composite adapter you have. Looking at the 7 pin mini din connector, with the 4 pin row on the top and 3 pin row on the bottom, the signals are as follows:

gnd, red audio, white audio, gnd
    blue, red, green

If you have a continuity tester (or a 9V battery, some wires, and your tongue!) you can compare your cable.

Yes, that red/white/yellow RCA cable will work for composite video -- assuming your SCART adapter is working and the sat box is putting out composite video. Remember, you will only get standard definition video out of composite. S-video is also standard definition but it might give you better quality.
    Last edited by jagabo; 2nd Oct 2013 at 11:28.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Ok so when you say scart adapter u mean this yes: http://www.dv247.com/assets/products/78728_l.jpg, So let me see if i understand this correctly
    1) I plug this cable which i have: into this scart : and plug it into the back of the Sky HD receiver,

2) then connect the other end (the pin end) to the elgato av input, and then the hdmi output to the TV via a hdmi lead and obviously the USB lead to the pc leaving the hdmi input on the elgato empty?

3) Is there anything i need to do on my Sky HD box on the settings page and do i remove the HDMI lead from the back of the sky receiver also or keep it there? (heres the back of it & heres the setup page: )
    Quote Quote  
  27. If thats correct ill give it a shot now?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    One problem with $ky is that they do not give you a user manual with the box.

Now this may depend on the make/model you have but the one I found shows the red/white/yellow RCA plugs to be composite and not component.

That could complicate matters. Component for a console and composite for a $ky box and no real guarantee it will work for a $ky box since it is designed for console capture and not sat-tv.
    Quote Quote  
  29. right ok but if it was gonna work is the way ive explained above the way to do it or is there another method ive missed or done wrong?
    Quote Quote