VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I was looking for some reviews on this puppy. I searched the forums, and I could only locate, "their tech support sucks" but nothing on media compatibility or stability of DVD -/+ burns, etc..

Comments?
    Feedback?

This is the Hi-Val retail boxed -/+ Dual media drive available at CompUsa for $159 after rebate?

Good?
    Bad?
    Pros?
    Cons?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I know their CD-R/RW drives suck. I suspect the drives they sell are the ones that failed on the line and were reworked. Basically like Grade C media that Hi-Val sells under its media.

RG
    Quote Quote  
  3. This is unfair. You will find that the HI-VAL recorder is just an repackaged major brand. The big problem is that the OEM drives will not be constant and will be changed upon market conditions. You will probably be able to get a good deal if you are careful. Here what you should do - buy from a merchant that accepts returns - find the OEM for the drive you have purchased and if this OEM is acceptable, keep the drive.

IMO, there are few unacceptable OEM DVDR/W manufacturers.
    Quote Quote  
  4. The NEC 1300a 4x DVD+/-RW drive is a better deal at $114 here http://avlogic.com/product.cgi?code=18030059
    Quote Quote  
  5. I would stay away from ANYTHING that says Hi-val on it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I believe that Hi-Val filed for chapter 11 or 13 last year so if they are back then they are just now coming out of bankruptcy.
    Quote Quote