VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I'm trying to sync the audio in an mp4 video and I'm making a hash of it. I've used Virtualdub in the past and while it loads the mp4 OK, it won't save it as an avi. I did some reading and tried to use VLC to convert it to an avi but so far the codec options I've used (H264, MPEG2 and DIVX) have all resulted in Virtualdub refusing to load them (decompressor not found, Virtualdub requires a VFW compatible codec etc.)

Any tips would be welcome.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Get VFW decoders for h.264, MPEG 2, and/or Divx. ffdshow includes VFW decoders for all of them. Or use the ffmpeg source filter for VirtualDub. Or use VirtualDub Filtermod which has source filters, codecs, and output filters for AVI, MP4, MKV, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think I have all three of those but still no luck. Maybe I'm not using ffmpeg or ffdshow the right way...I tried opening the file in standard VD as an ffmpeg file, and opened it in VDMod but I get the same error (source video uses compression algorithm not compatible with avi) when I try to save the video as direct stream copy avi. I'm not even sure ffdshow is doing anything after installation.

I'm probably a bit non-intuitive, but I've tried to look at old forums. I even saw a post with a similar problem that you replied to in 2008
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    you can try to use Avidemux too. It is free so nothing to loose.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  5. Another thing to keep in mind: Obviously, in 32 bit Windows you must use 32 bit editors, 32 bit codecs, and 32 bit source filters. In 64 bit windows you have both 32 bit and 64 bit environments. If you use a 32 bit editor you will need to use 32 bit codecs and 32 bit source filters. If you use a 64 bit editor you need to use 64 bit codecs and 64 bit source filters. The two environments cannot see each others' components. And since Windows supports VFW and DirectShow video systems you have four environments 32 bit VFW, 32 bit DirectShow, 64 bit VFW, and 64 bit DirectShow -- all separate. In addition, programs can come with their own built in source filters and codecs (for example, VirtualDub has internal decoders for MJPEG and DV).

Originally Posted by jontee83 View Post
    I tried opening the file in standard VD as an ffmpeg file, and opened it in VDMod but I get the same error (source video uses compression algorithm not compatible with avi)
    So you used the pulldown at VirtualDub's Open Video File dialog to force the ffmpeg source filter?

Click image for larger version

Name:	vdub.png
Views:	184
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	43829

The ffmpeg source filter should have been able to decode the DV video. Or if you use the standard AVI source filter VirtualDub itself should be able to decode the DV. You may have to force the option VirtualDub -> Options -> Preferences -> AVI -> Prefer Internal Video Decoders...
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Looks like Avidemux did the trick guys. I'll play around more with VD and ffmpeg though. Thanks for the help.
    Quote Quote