VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I mostly use emulator or frontend programs to record my gameplay but while I used the built in recording function, I was also advised of another method to record my videos on. I had heard that you can record virtually any PC footage using OBStudio but how do you go about doing that? I also have a Record AVI function in VRtualdub2, should I use that do?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    OBS supports both recording (save to storage) and streaming (send to URL) types of capturing. It allows for multiple types of "sources" - USB-type "webcams" and other live video capture sources, text feeds, etc. One of the MAIN source options is SCREEN captures. It can be a full screen (taken likely as a tap from the video card's or driver's memory buffers), or a window.
    AFAIK, Virtualdub apps might not support screen capture/recording, but they do support the USB/UVC "webcam" and other live video sources (VFW-based, or possibly DirectShow-based).

If you are doing gaming and trying to record them, OBS screen capture is a very good choice - if your system is capable enough to support doing both the gaming AND the recording without loss of performance.
    If it is NOT enought to support both, I would suggest you consider using a capture computer system separate from the gaming computer system.

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 6th Jan 2021 at 21:38.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OBS is not capturing -- it's recording. Screen recording. It has rudimentary useless analog capture abilities.

VirtualDub is actual capturing of analog source. It has rudimentary useless screen recording abilities.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    OBS supports both recording (save to storage) and streaming (send to URL) types of capturing. It allows for multiple types of "sources" - USB-type "webcams" and other live video capture sources, text feeds, etc. One of the MAIN source options is SCREEN captures. It can be a full screen (taken likely as a tap from the video card's or driver's memory buffers), or a window.
    AFAIK, Virtualdub apps might not support screen capture/recording, but they do support the USB/UVC "webcam" and other live video sources (VFW-based, or possibly DirectShow-based).

If you are doing gaming and trying to record them, OBS screen capture is a very good choice - if your system is capable enough to support doing both the gaming AND the recording without loss of performance.
    If it is NOT enought to support both, I would suggest you consider using a capture computer system separate from the gaming computer system.

Scott
    I think this maybe sound advice as my laptop may not be up to snuff for game capturing or recording. I will have try to use OBS but I am not sure if my current laptop is capable of doing this.

OBS is not capturing -- it's recording. Screen recording. It has rudimentary useless analog capture abilities.

VirtualDub is actual capturing of analog source. It has rudimentary useless screen recording abilities.
    I see. Looks like I am going to have to find a compromise.
    Quote Quote