VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi, First will someone confirm that cbord.cprogramming.com is shut down? I tried going to their site earlier but no luck. Ok let start over. What is the best C and C++ programming tutorials out there? If i wanted to start programming would vista be the OS to learn on? Would tutorials be good to learn for a first time programmer? As a first time could be difficult and over whelming? What is there to except? What if i get compiler errors? Does anyone consider it trial and error? What language be good to start? C? C++? or something different?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    First will someone confirm that cbord.cprogramming.com is shut down?
    Apparently, yes.

If i wanted to start programming would vista be the OS to learn on?
    Definitely, NO!

Would tutorials be good to learn for a first time programmer?
    Of course, if you do not have big difficulties to understand written instructions, I mean.

What if i get compiler errors?
    Try to learn something from them.

Does anyone consider it trial and error?
    Considering there is no 100%-comprehensive documentation, ...

What language be good to start?
    Quick Basic for MS-DOS, why not?

Regardz,

Orochi Nagase ^_^

=====
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Midzuki
    First will someone confirm that cbord.cprogramming.com is shut down?
    Apparently, yes.

If i wanted to start programming would vista be the OS to learn on?
    Definitely, NO!

Would tutorials be good to learn for a first time programmer?
    Of course, if you do not have big difficulties to understand written instructions, I mean.

What if i get compiler errors?
    Try to learn something from them.

Does anyone consider it trial and error?
    Considering there is no 100%-comprehensive documentation, ...

What language be good to start?
    Quick Basic for MS-DOS, why not?

Regardz,

Orochi Nagase ^_^

=====
    Is Quick basic for MS-DOS a tutorial or book? I was most looking for tutorials. What OS should i learn on? wow cprogramming i remeber going there in the early 2000's.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Is Quick basic for MS-DOS a tutorial or book? I was most looking for tutorials. What OS should i learn on? wow cprogramming i remeber going there in the early 2000's.
    QB is a programming language, a testing runtime environment(for your source code),
    and a compiler as well. I recommended it because I (perhaps wrongly) presumed you had never been in "actual touch" with any programming language, therefore "first things first"
    would be the best path for you to be in. But if you, for example, already feel advanced javascripting is child's play, then you'd better not be shy and face both Linux and raw C.
    Good luck --- and have fun! ^_^

P.S.:

http://cprogramming.com/ is alive --- and well. As for tutorials, I believe you will have to look for and find out the one(s) that will suit your needs and/or your learning capabilities.

=====
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Midzuki
    QB is a programming language, a testing runtime environment(for your source code),
    and a compiler as well. I recommended it because I (perhaps wrongly) presumed you had never been in "actual touch" with any programming language, therefore "first things first"
    would be the best path for you to be in. But if you, for example, already feel advanced javascripting is child's play, then you'd better not be shy and face both Linux and raw C.
    Good luck --- and have fun! ^_^

P.S.:

http://cprogramming.com/ is alive --- and well. As for tutorials, I believe you will have to look for and find out the one(s) that will suit your needs and/or your learning capabilities.

=====
    I am a very slow learner and never programmed in my life before. Could you help to start some where?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  7. Some excellent advice from Midzuki.

If you have never programmed, you need to keep the language simple and the software used to write the programs simple, too.

Modern programming applications are very complicated and would be extremely overwhelming. Such applications include Microsoft's Visual Studio - a very powerful suite of languages etc but with a steep learning curve. These applications are also designed to generate fully fledged Windows programs and you need to know a lot about how Windows works.

Recommendations such as QuickBasic are ideal because it's a bit like using Notepad - you just type in your code, press one button and you can run the program. You don't need to know anything about Windows etc.

BASIC is a great place to start. It was developed in the early 70's specifically to help people learn to program. It stands for Beginners All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code. (I'm sure the 'BASIC' came first, though!)

With something like QuickBasic, you can start straightaway writing simple programs to do things like list the numbers from 1 to 10 etc - the classic short programs that everyone starts with.

After QuickBasic, you can start using more enhanced versions of BASIC, such as Visual Basic for Applications (VBA). All Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) have it built-in. It includes features very similar to those found in the most recent versions of Visual Basic (in Visual Studio). You can create Windows programs with dialog boxes, buttons etc etc. There is also a related "scripting" version. This lets you create a program in a simple text file and then double-click on it from Windows to run it.
    Quote Quote