VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I tried to get the sound to work on my computer today and it wont work. I went to "Sounds and Audio Devices Properties and all of the volume section tab, the audio section tab, and the voice section tab are completely grayed out. I cannot click anything. The icon for volume has also disappeared from the icon tray. It also indicates that there is "No audio device" Which is odd seeing as how there was yesterday. There is a stupid girl in the house that is always on downloading random crap also.

I have crappy generic speakers that have never failed on me before. I know the sound still works on them also because my ipod works just fine on them. I tried headphones and they also wont work. I have tried front and back ports as well. In the "Sounds and Audio Devices Properties" box under the hardware tab, here are the following items:

HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4167B
    Audio Codecs
    Legacy Audio Drivers
    Media Control Devices
    Legacy Video Capture Devices
    Video Codecs

I am alright when it comes to using computers but I would really appreciate some help. Thanks so much in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  2. hi and welcome to the forum!

sounds like your audio hardware has been uninstalled from windows. not sure how or why it was done, but you have a couple choices. you can try to "go back" to a previous date where it was still installed with the windows restore function, or you can try re-installing the devices.

re-installing is probably the better of the choices. i would go to the website of the manufacturer of you computer and go to their support section and search for your model. download the latest version of the audio hardware drivers and install them.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try installing your sound card drivers again..
    " Who needs Google, my wife knows everything"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Something like this may work (depnds on your exact version of Windows):

Start menu: click though:
    Settings
    Control panel
    System
    Hardware
    Device manager

Now you'll see a string of you devices.
    The audio drive probably under "Sound, video and game controllers"
    If you have a sound device there, it may be turned off. Of it may have a yellow exclamation mark, indicating some error.
    R-click, properties.
    First see if it's enabled: if not, enable.
    Otherwise try "uninstall"
    Then look at the top menu and choose "Action/scan for hardware changes".

With any luck Windows will find the "new" audio hardware and reinstall the audio driver.
    Quote Quote