VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    getting better, I still like the cable co. to pay.
    Quote Quote  
  2. ED, beside trying to get HD work on my monitor, is there a way to connect regular cable signal with cable box to BNC? Without having to but $70 tv tuner card...
    Danny
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do you mean using a normal cable box with RF (ch3 or 4), RCA (yellow) or S-Video?

A simple tuner card with S-Video in is the easiest way. Just keep the tuner set to S-Video in and connect the audio to your sound inputs. If you also split the RF ahead of the cable box and connect that to the tuner card, you can tune the analog cable channels with the card as well.

http://www.newegg.com/app/searchProductResult.asp?Submit=Go&Range=1&DEPA=0&bop=and&ord...RF&Order=price

Are you giving up on HDTV?
    Quote Quote  
  4. no I'm not giving up HDTV, I just don't feel like paying $180 for a HD tuner card. What is RF? When I get the Analog TV tuner card, I'm going to connect it to a digital cable box, this way I can get all of the Time warner channels. If HD is succesful in my monitor, then I will order a HD cable box. I was just asking if it was possible to view digital channels from time warner without having to buy a tuner card by connecting from the cable box to the monitors BNC connection if it was possible. Is s-video connection better than connecting to the coaxial connection of a TV tuner card?
    Danny
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    To do that you would need to buy one of those boxes that convert S-Video to VGA (some may have RGBHV outputs, otherwise you will need a VGA to RGBHV cable.

The cheapest ones are targeted at people wanting to view X-Box or PS2 games on a RBG monitor.

Lots out there like this, expect marginal video quality for TV. http://store.yahoo.com/videoware/svid2vga2audio.html

but HDTV would be so much nicer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    "Is s-video connection better than connecting to the coaxial connection of a TV tuner card?"

Yes much better. That way you are using the tuner in the cable box which is superior to the cheap one on the tuner card. The "Channel 3" output in RF is very low quality and intended for people without composite or S-Video inputs.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Is Any Analog TV tuner card (even the $30 ones) would give me the same video quality as any other of a $70 price tag, by connecting with s-video? How do you tell the card to read from either the coaxial or s-video inputs? I have an Nvidia video card, any specific cards you think I should get with good video quality?
    Danny
    Quote Quote  
  8. Oh and, what specific software would you recommend to use, to use with the TV tuner card?
    I hear that most of the software that come with the cards aren't good enough, some frezze, etc...
    Danny
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Can't tell which is better without examininig the modules on the card. Each comes with simple software that is adequate for viewing TV.

If you want more, get a card compatible with showshifter
    http://www.showshifter.com/support/system.htm#1 or others

Have you abandoned HDTV?
    Quote Quote  
  10. No I haven't abandoned HDTV, I want HDTV and regular analog/digital channels as well. Found this $30 card in Newegg http://www.kworld.com.tw/en/product/Studio-TV-Terminator/Studio-TV-Terminator.html. I will call Time Warner probably by thursday and ask them again, otherwise I will stay with analog card for now and get the converter at a later time.
    Danny
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The HDTV tuner will get you all the channels
    Quote Quote  
  12. All the channels without a digital cable box in between? What about the HD channels, Time warner offers about 13 HD channels. What do you think about that link to that tuner card?
    Danny
    Quote Quote  
  13. Ed, you said that you get better video quality when connecting from digital cable box s-video to tv tuner card. Is it the same thing for regular TV's, instead of connecting a coaxial cable to the tv frpm cable box, you would intead connected it with s-video cable?
    Danny
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    "All the channels without a digital cable box in between? What about the HD channels, Time warner offers about 13 HD channels."

The HDTV cable box will tune regular and standard definition digital channels as well.

"What do you think about that link to that tuner card?"

????

"Ed, you said that you get better video quality when connecting from digital cable box s-video to tv tuner card. Is it the same thing for regular TV's, instead of connecting a coaxial cable to the tv frpm cable box, you would intead connected it with s-video cable?"

Yes that is true. S-Video is superior to composite RCA which is superior to coax RF. Componet Y, Pb, Pr is better than S-Video and HDTV is best of all.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Ed, I installed the Analog TV Tuner card with a Digital cable box, it works fine and get all the channels, but at the right side of the screen I get a small vertical black bar, Is that normal? I can't seem to get a picture up in here so you can see. Im using Quick TV software to watch, it came with the package. As for the component to RGB adapter, does the adapter have to be 1920x1200 (compaible) HDTV resolution?, because I've seen the same adapter but only go up top 1280x800.
    Danny
    Quote Quote  
  16. Danny
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bambamrl
    Ed, I installed the Analog TV Tuner card with a Digital cable box, it works fine and get all the channels, but at the right side of the screen I get a small vertical black bar, Is that normal? I can't seem to get a picture up in here so you can see. Im using Quick TV software to watch, it came with the package. As for the component to RGB adapter, does the adapter have to be 1920x1200 (compaible) HDTV resolution?, because I've seen the same adapter but only go up top 1280x800.
    Hi again,
    Which analog tuner card is it? Your link didn't work.

Is that right side bar in all channels (i.e. those from the tuner and those from the s-video connector) ?

What is happening is a horizontal shift of the picture left relative to sync.
    Look for overlay controls in the setup menu. It may show as horizontal position, horizontal phase or blanking adjustment.

"As for the component to RGB adapter ...."

The cable box only outputs in 1920x1080 aka 1080i That is what you need.

The other box is for a different standard 720p. (1280x720)
    Quote Quote  
  18. I get the black bar with either cable or s-video, but I currently have it connected on s-video since I did the test and saw that s-video had a better picture quality(less ghost). That black bar is on all channels, just sometimes, on some commercials, will I get full screen. The only thing that is always the way it should be displayed Horizontally is the bar that comes up when you change the channels, that gets displayed fully from left to right side of the screen.
    Danny
    Quote Quote  
  19. The Quick TV software does not give me those features, except for aspect ration which I have it on 4:3 and video system, have it on NTSC-M also has NTSC-J
    Danny
    Quote Quote  
  20. Lokk at the Bar at the bottom when I changed channels.
    Danny
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My ATI All-In-Wonder has those menus under ctl panel - display settings advanced. You may find them there

Interesting that the cable box overlay goes all the way over.
    TV sets overscan so that edge problems are hidden. If the card has no overlay adjustments, you may have to live with it.
    Quote Quote