VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Ok, my question isn't really video related, mostly media. I'm looking for a high capacity DVD for backing up data as opposed to tape backups. The only thing I was able to find was what was listed in this sites DVD FAQ's about DVD-18, ability to hold 15 DS/DL. I have also found another site which details a "Blu-Ray High-Density DVD" that can hold up to 27 gigabytes SS/SL.

Does anyone know which of these technologies is available and where?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DVD-R/RW and DVD+R/RW are only single-layer media. Each layer holds 4.3GB of data (advertised as 4.7GB but that's 1000-byte kilobytes not 1024-bytes). There are dual-sided DVD-writable media, but not dual-layer. There will probably never be dual-layer recordable DVD (reason for this addressed in several posts). The BlueRay technology won't be available for a few years.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    So, if I understand you correctly, there are double layer DVD's that are available for reading but not for writing.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dual layer DVDs have to be pressed (i.e. commercial discs). Theoretically the DVD spec allows up to 4 layers on the same side, but that hasn't been implemented in commercial players.
    Quote Quote