VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have an Aiptek DV3100 with a 256MB flash drive & an interesting idea. Since this digi camera records video & audio for playback on its own LCD screen, I want to be able to download a professional movie (for my own personal use, as a backup) to the camera and play it back through the LCD and internal speaker. I have the movie in AVI format but keep getting "[in]correct format" when trying to play it on the camera. When I copy a recorded movie made by the camera to my Mac (or pc), these are the format specs:
    VIDEO: mjpeg (OpenDML), (Millions colors), 320x240, 9.83 fps. AUDIO: (DVI) adpcm_ima_wav,
    8000 Hz, mono, 32 kb/s
    Using TMPGEnc and a Demo of Main Concept's Motion-JPEG codec,
    I can make a mjpeg at 320x240 at 9.99fps and adpcm ima compressed sound at 8000Hz mono, but the bitrate varys (which it does so on ea. camera recorded AVI file). Also, I have used FourCC Changer to make sure the format signature "MJPG" matches.

In sum, I have generally exactly the same AVI format as the camera makes, but still no dice.

If anyone knows more about how these camera's interpret the difference between it's own created files and the one's I make it would be greatly appreciated.

This idea sounds cool to me, basically you would have a portable movie player, similar to a portable DVD player, only smaller!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    there are about 20 different mjpeg formats -- you have to get the right one ..

the quality woudl be awfull anyway -- why not just buy a portable dvd player for 100$
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  3. BJ_M writes:
    >there are about 20 different mjpeg formats -- you have to get the right >one ..
    >

Do you mean similar to JPEG, how it is rendered? i.e. Baseline or Progressive? Or I have also heard the terminology with AVI's to be Type-1 vs Type-2. I will have to research that one, though.

Does anyone know of a shareware app that gives an AVI's specs in gorey detail?

>the quality woudl be awfull anyway -- why not just buy a portable dvd >player for 100$

I agree, but the point is to use what tools you have to create a new usefull tool. A similar philosophy to your quote.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    well then open the file in a hex editor and see if you can fins in info in the first couple lines .. there are many mjpg standards used .. or call the camera maker and just ask ..
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Ya, I'll try that. No sense reinventing the wheel, right? Thanks for your help BJ_M
    Quote Quote