VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. OK I have a Sony WEGA 34inch. It says it supports 1080i display. Now does that work for movies, or just HDTV?

Thanks

Tim
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    well hdtv can be a movie .... so what do you mean ?

to play something at 1080i , you need HD sat. or a dvd player that outputs hdtv (and your set has HDCP) or a HD server or a HD disk player ..
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  3. I also have a brand new Sony Home theatre system with a progressive scan dvd player and stuff. So is there a way I can get the picture to 1080i? Do I have to choose whether I want 1080i/720p/480p/480i signal scans, or does it do it automatically? Sorry this is just confusing.

Thanks

Tim
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sony progressive scan dvd players ONLY output 480p (or 480i) ...
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  5. is that normal for all types of DVD players? And there is no way to get 1080i/720p/ for movies from the dvd player?

Thanks

Tim
    Quote Quote  
  6. Timsta

Most progressive scan DVD players will output a progressive 720x480 signal. "HiDef" in this case your TV is displaying at 1920x1080 interlaced. When you fedd your TV the DVD signal it will automatically upscale/convert the feed to display on the display at 1920x1080 interlaced. So from that point, yes your DVD player will work just fine. This is not going to be nearly as good as a video feed that was originally 1920x1080 because you are only starting with 720x480 pixels worth of data.

Now depending on the quality of the circuitry in your TV (some are better than others) the results could be better, but you would have to get an external scaler.

Yes some DVD player to output in at 720p and higher. Check out the V Inc DVD players. -EDIT- While DVD players that output at HiDef resolutions will gerenrally look better than "standard DVD players" they will still not look as good as a true HiDef feed as you are still limited to a 720x480 source feed.

-Suntan
    Quote Quote