VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello. I am just getting started. I am using a Canopus AVDC-100 hooked in to a JVC VCR and my computers IEEE1394 port. I am using the Scenylizer capture program to capture(any of the other programs I have tried to capture with did not allow me to minimize the capture program while capturing which I found annoying). So far, not a single dropped frame using the Canopus DV(AVI) codec. I have tried a few of the editing programs; VirtualDub, Ulead, Adobe Premiere, Canopus Let'sEdit, etc. I am impressed with the ability to import add-ons such as filters to VirtualDub. Since my main goal is to transfer home movies to DVD one of the biggest hurdles I have is with video noise. I understand that there is no way to improve the actual footage(the perverbial "garbage in, garbage out). What is imprinted on the tape cannot be altered. But, I have read much about TBC's. Will a TBC be able to "correct" any of the inherent video noise present in some of the tapes?

On another note, do any of the other programs such as the Canopus Let'sEdit allow you to import additional filters and plug-ins? I like some of the resident filters in Let'sEdit but it would be nice to add others.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    As far as a TBC helping with video noise, probably not. I believe there are some TBC's that may help with color stabalizing, but that is different than noise. The type of noise would also make a great difference. I have found the best solution with my ADVC is with Virtualdub doing filtering, then frameserve to TMPGEnc encoder. Bad news is any software filtering takes a lot of time. Virtualdub filtering is faster than TMPGEnc filtering, though. I think a lot of users here would recommend a TBC anyway for the most stable video.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    boofer, no. A TBC is for correcting time base error (do a search on the site).

If you have a problem with video noise, look for some other type of processor (or a TBC with other video processing built into the box).

The BVP-4 from Elitevideo.com is an example, but it's not inexpensive.
    I don't have a bad attitude...
    Life has a bad attitude!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. I did a little looking in to the Elitte Video BVP-4 Plus. This is exactly what I need. But, who else makes this type of product? My searches are coming up skoosh.

BTW, I am using a really bad VHS tape to practice with. I hope if I can get it looking decent that the remainder of my work will be simplified. I can almost elimiinate the video noise with a filter but it leaves artifacts cause I have to crank it up to the full effect. Any recommendations on a good VirtualDub video noise filter is also appreciated. Thanks.
    Quote Quote