VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. For those who dont care which version of SW they get heres what it looks like. http://digitalbits.com/
    Quote Quote  
  2. Looks good, but I'll never understand the whole letterbox / full screen options for DVD's. Do people hate the black bars that much!

I don't know how many times I have returned DVD given as gifts because someone gave me the full screen.
    For the love of God, use hub/core labels on your Recordable Discs!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    YES PEOPLE HATE BLACK BARS I HATE THEM SO MUCH

i'm serious, when i pay for a movie, i pay for a movie that fills up my whole screen, not something i have to sqint at to see the picture. I really dont give a flying f' about the 2 extra inches of side action that get's cut off.
    Quote Quote  
  4. buy a widescreen tv and stop your bitching.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Greg12
    YES PEOPLE HATE BLACK BARS I HATE THEM SO MUCH

i'm serious, when i pay for a movie, i pay for a movie that fills up my whole screen, not something i have to sqint at to see the picture. I really dont give a flying f' about the 2 extra inches of side action that get's cut off.
    When I pay for a movie, I expect to see the WHOLE movie, not a chopped up version. But I guess, to each his own.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Yeah. In the case of these movies, the parts that are chopped off on each side add up to about 40% of the actual picture seen in theaters. When I pay for a movie I want to see all of it regardless of how big or small it is on my television.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I like the double sided DVDs that give you the option of full or wide screen - if you're like me, I tend to compare both verions and find there's just about as much picture missing either way.

I'm all for wide screen - but when it comes to nudity and close ups, with part of the actors' faces missing (such as in the wide screen version of
    American Graffiti...then I tend to favor the full screen.

Fans of Wide Screen do not get to see Sissy Spacek full frontal nudity in
    Carrie, Sigourney Weavor full frontal nudity in Map Of The World, Alice Krige full frontal nudity in Ghost Story, Holly Hunter full frontal nudity in Thirteen, and the list goes on - you only see them cropped at the waist.
    That should tell you how much of the picture is missing in wide screen.

Compare the full screen version of Two Moon Junction to the wide screen version and you'll think the wide screen version is an edited for network TV version - way too much footage missing!

American Graffiti in wide screen is ultimately the worst transfer I've ever seen.
    THX looks awful...poor color....chins cut from actors faces.
    If I ever want to see that movie again, I'll watch the early '90s VHS editons - which are superior in picture quality and at least show full faces in close-ups.

It all depends on the movies themselves and how wide the film was shot originally.
    Some are are a little too wide IMO, like Jaws, while many wide screen movies still fill a good portion of the screen and aren't as annoying to watch on a TV.

For ambience, wide screen is definitely the best way to experince a movie.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Interesting. I had no idea. I was aware that some widescreen versions were shot full screen and then cropped for the theater. But usually, the parts that get cropped are un-important. Nudity is definately important! haha. It should never be cropped.

Darryl
    Quote Quote  
  9. Rookie64,

I have never done a full screen vs wide screen on those movies. (may need to )

But, that doesn't seem to make sense. By the nature of full screen, the studio had to crop, pan-scan to make it 4:3. Wide screen should be as the orginal in the movie theater. I wonder if they cropped a full screen and transfered as wide screen. Or if there were two versions.

Sorry, but I don't have a wide screen yet, but I want the whole picture. Its seems that with a double sided-double layer disc, all movies could be both versions and the user could chose which version. (would work even for really long flics.) That way there would be a choice, less disks to make and no confusion.
    For the love of God, use hub/core labels on your Recordable Discs!
    Quote Quote  
  10. You misunderstand. Some movies are shot with TV in mind. So they shoot it full screen and crop the top and bottom for widescreen. I am sure you have seen camera men with the rectangle on their camera display indicating where the cropping would be. Usually, they would keep important elements within the rectangle. The stuff at the top and bottom would be for TV playback only. Not all fullscreen movies are "pan and scan".

This is different than shooting with an anamorphic lens which is widescreen only (aka "Panavision" among others). That method stretches the image to fill the entire film frame. The projector would then also have an anamorphic lens for "playback".

Darryl
    Quote Quote  
  11. This has become a very interesting thread... Has led me to do a little research. I found an good link that explains this while mess just a bit: http://home1.gte.net/res0mrb7/widescreen/benefits.html

Take a look at the last sample pictures... and read the description above them.
    2 DVD, or not 2 DVD, that is the question.
    Quote Quote  
  12. OK, I have a question... Where can I look to see what aspect ratio a particular movie was filmed in? IMDB lists techincal details, but which detail tells us what it was filmed in? For example:

Technical Specifications for
    Carrie (1976)

Laboratory
    DeLuxe
    Film negative format (mm/video inches)
    35 mm
    Cinematographic process
    Spherical
    Printed film format
    35 mm
    Aspect ratio
    1.85 : 1
    2 DVD, or not 2 DVD, that is the question.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This is the actual link, for anyone interested in the original topic
    Will Hay

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/mytwocentsa85.html#swart
    tgpo, my real dad, told me to make a maximum of 5,806 posts on vcdhelp.com in one lifetime. So I have.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by cim
    OK, I have a question... Where can I look to see what aspect ratio a particular movie was filmed in? IMDB lists techincal details, but which detail tells us what it was filmed in? For example:

Aspect ratio
    1.85 : 1
    Quote Quote  
  15. here is a web site that actually shows examples to educate those WHO can not understand widescreen and why it blows away crap pan and scan or the famous 4x3 ratio, gee these are the same people who think CRAP VHS was good Sh_tty format also. Long Live Beta, he he.

http://www.widescreen.org/examples.shtml
    Quote Quote