VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Basically, I have done something to my computer (installed codec pack or player upgrade) that has nullified my ability to seek through ASF video files that I have stored. I know that these files are seekable and this was working until about a month ago. The culprit is either K-Lite, Nimo or possibly the latest Windows Media Player codec update. At least that's what I think.

I was just wondering if anyone here has some deeper insight into this matter. I have repeatedly scoured Microsoft's site and rephrased the query several different ways with several different search engines. I'm just looking for ideas of what to check at this point. It could be a filter or splitter problem, but which one?
    Quote Quote  
  2. The same thing happened to me about 4 years ago, the first time (and last time) i tried a codec pack..........Nimo i think!

The problem got worse when i uninstalled it. Nothing worked after that.

I'm guessing that Microsoft codec was NOT the culprit. Microsoft created the format, they ought to know how it works.

Goto "Add Remove Programs / Windows Components" and uninstall Windows Media Player. After a reboot, reinstall Windows Media Player.

Any difference?
    Quote Quote  
  3. I have a feeling that something you installed has taken over the decoding of Windows Media files.

Download Gspot, open a WMV or ASF file in it, then click "render". What does it report at the bottom next to "video path"?

It should say "WMVideo Decoder", if it says something else, try uninstalling the software associated with it.

If it does say that it is being rendered by the WMVideo Decoder and the problem persists, try reinstalling Windows Media Player ant the codec package available here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/download/default.asp
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Prospero424
    Download Gspot, open a WMV or ASF file in it, then click "render". What does it report at the bottom next to "video path"?
    It says:

(S) --> ? --> (R)

Is that good or bad?
    Quote Quote  
  5. If that's all it says next to "video path" under the render options, I have no idea what that means.

Try reinstalling WMP and the codecs and see if that fixes it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I have a similar problem. WMP9 will no longer play WMV files, but plays everything else fine and every other player on the PC plays WMV fine. I haven't figured out what's wrong yet though I believe WMP must have gotten corrupted somehow since the codecs evidently work fine in all other programs. And I can't seem to completely uninstall and reinstall WMP9 in XP. I hope you have more luck than I have.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    WMP9 has name-game issues with certain non M$ codecs. WMP9 does not peaceably co-exist with other codecs very well (you also can't un-install it, despite what you think, it leaves pieces behind).

Typically you want WMP9 installed first, then your codecs of choice second. Of course an ill-timed M$ update can undo all this. I have found that I've never actually needed to update the codecs in order to get something o play. It kind of makes me wonder what it's trying to do? If you have installed teh WM9 codec pack, then your WMV/ASF files should play fine. You don't need WMP9 to play them (WMP 6 or 7 play them fine if you have the codec isntalled).
    To Be, Or, Not To Be, That, Is The Gazorgan Plan
    Quote Quote  
  8. An additional note...for some reason, I recovered the seek ability of ASF files when using Media Player Classic. Any theories as to why I would get different results with MPC than with BSPlayer?
    Quote Quote