VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Divx 5.0.5 codec avi and when I play it in windows media player it is not only incredibly dark but it also smears, so that if someone moves their hand a trail is left behind. The strange thing is that windows media plays other divx 5.0.5 avi's perfectly and when I open this smeary file in virtualdub and let it play it also works perfectly. Do people think I should compress the file again using the divx 5.0.5 codec?
    Any ideas would be appreciated
    Thanks
    Sara
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A friend at work had this same problem. When playing a file with media player it would smear and block. After hours of uninstalling and reinstalling software and codecs, we came to the conclusion that it was a codec conflict. Not sure exactly which one, though. He had DIVX,Xvid,Indeo5.0,Angelpotion and Realplayer installed. we reinstalled and even tried different media players. When we removed all but divx, the video began playing correctly in mediaplayer.
    Maybe try removing/disabling a few codecs to see if that makes any difference.
    Also, let me know if it works... curious to find the culprit....
    MMMMMMMMMMMMM..........sprinkles
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I thought it might be some sort of conflict thing, but I dont understand how windows media can still play my other divx 5.0.5 files and why it has started acting weird all of a sudden as I haven't changed anything. Is there different versions of the 5.0.5 codec? At the moment I am scanning the file for errors and then I am going to recompress it. If that works I will let you know
    Thanks
    Sara
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As far as I know, there is only one version of the 5.05 as any newer or older version would have a different # such as Divx 5.11. But also remember that it is also backwards compatible with divx3 and 4. Your idea to scan or repair may reveal the answer you need. Also consider a movie codec ID tool to give you the much needed info on the file (found under the tools section).
    MMMMMMMMMMMMM..........sprinkles
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I scanned the file and there was nothing wrong with it, so I recompressed the file and now it works perfectly. I suppose it was just one of those weird things computer's do to give you a headache!
    Thanks for the help
    Sara
    Quote Quote