VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have tried to do some research on this subject and finally figured this was the best place to go for some help.

I am wondering how much time difference there is in a CD burn comparison between a 16X and a 24X when burning a full disk?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Depends on the burning application. My 16 burns a SVCD (800 MB, from Bin/Cue) around 5+ minutes. My 24x burns around 3:30 or so. So I'd say you'd save at least 1 minute. 24x is 50% faster in the actual burning, but there is overhead in the burning application that won't change despite the speed.

Actualy burning time would beSize/Rate. For an SVCD of 800 MB you get

80/16 = 5:00 actual burning.
    80/24 = 3:20 actual burning.

Add layout/Lead in for both. Burning 500 MP3's has more overhead time than a single large AVI file.
    To Be, Or, Not To Be, That, Is The Gazorgan Plan
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for the info.

I had another report from a person who copied a 650MB disk at 16x & 24x. He did it multiple times and his difference was 9 secs. He was using the same burner.

Were you using the same burner?

He says that when you start a burn that the burn starts at the same speed on the inside but as the burn moves to the outside of the CD that the speed will increase according to the max burn speed and the disk. He says the speed is not constant.

Has anyone heard of this?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Videomag
    Thanks for the info.

I had another report from a person who copied a 650MB disk at 16x & 24x. He did it multiple times and his difference was 9 secs. He was using the same burner.

Were you using the same burner?

He says that when you start a burn that the burn starts at the same speed on the inside but as the burn moves to the outside of the CD that the speed will increase according to the max burn speed and the disk. He says the speed is not constant.

Has anyone heard of this?
    This is true. All high speed (above 16x) cd burners do not burn at the max speed from start to finish.

Steve
    Quote Quote  
  5. this is called, I think, Constant angular velocity CAV and constant linear velocity CLV.
    www.cdrinfo.com
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote