VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,
    Im in Europe i.e. PAL TV system, and i notice when i play NTSC Discs on my DVD player , the sideways motion is a little jerky , although only very slight and watchable , to the fussy eye it can be annoying. I have backedup up the DVDS on DVD+RW but this does not help, does anyone know what the prob may be, i..e could it be the TV SET itself , or are some DVD players better at NTSC conversion to PAL than others etc, or is there software that can resolve the issue etc, thanks in advance for any help,
    Dosie.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi - I don't know all the terminology - I'm new to Pal - but from what I've read here, some players/TV sort of simulate NTSC.

So, I believe, some will be more "true" to NTSC than others.

I'm sure someone with more specifics will jump in, but I believe that's close to an answer. (And will keep your question close to the top a bit longer.) ;c)
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1
    The Rogue Pixel: Pixels are like elephants. Every once in a while one of them will go nuts.
    Quote Quote  
  3. My first instinct is to say it's your TV set that's the issue. Your set obviously supports NTSC (or probably PAL60Hz??? I'm not sure*) but a true multistandard set would give you better playback.

Other than that, there are various ways to convert your movie over from NTSC to PAL although I shall leave that for one of the forum experts to answer.

EDIT:*Is your DVD player playing out at PAL60Hz (eg. NTSC playback on a PAL TV))?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Most newer PAL TV's support NTSC-signals. The only catch is if your DVD does it? If the DVD-player supports it too, just switch the TV into NTSC mode and do the same with the player (unless it switches automatically) and enjoy true NTSC. I have a Panasonic TV from 1991 which supports NTSC...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by chazzie
    Most newer PAL TV's support NTSC-signals. The only catch is if your DVD does it? If the DVD-player supports it too, just switch the TV into NTSC mode and do the same with the player (unless it switches automatically) and enjoy true NTSC. I have a Panasonic TV from 1991 which supports NTSC...
    could my tv only play a poor version of NTSC and if i upgrade to a new set it might play better?
    Quote Quote