VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi!

Today when i was browsing around vcdhelp i found a video format that i've never heard of before, it's called KVCD.

I went there and as far as i could understand it's a video format that let's you put a 2 hour near dvd quality movie on a single cd-r.

Is this really possible, and is it availible on the mac?

This is what they say on their website:
    http://www.kvcd.net

KVCD is a modification to the standard MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 GOP structure and Quantization Matrix. It enables you to create over 120 minutes of near DVD quality video, depending on your material, on a single 80 minute CD-R/CD-RW. We have published these specifications as KVCDx3, our official resolution, which produce 528x480 (NTSC) and 528x576 (PAL) MPEG-1 variable bit rate video, from 64Kbps to 3,000Kbps. Using a resolution of 352x240 (NTSC) or 352x288 (PAL), it's possible to encode video up to ~360 minutes of near VCD quality on a single 80 minute CD-R. The mpeg files created will play back in most modern standalone DVD players. You must burn the mpeg files as non-standard VCD with Nero or VCDEasy.
    Anyone know something about this?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I usually do not post on Mac forums, but I hope you will forgive my intrusion under the circumstances. The KVCD templates are used on a PC application called TMPGEnc.
    Hello.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    KVCD
    A term invented by VCDhelp member Kwag to label customized encoding schemes he developed. A number of TMPGEnc MPEG encoding templates are available under the KVCD umbrella. These are more appropriately labelled as variations on XVCD, XSVCD, and XDVD. kvcd.net
    Quote Quote  
  4. Visit the site at www.kvcd.net and ask the question there. You will gain a lot of insite into the KVCD projects.
    Quote Quote  
  5. ok thanks!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I asked kwag once is he had any plans to make a kvcd encoder for the mac. He said that he loved the OS and everything, but he didn't have any plans to make any at the time. But perhaps the time is better now.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    and perhaps even more so with 10.3 coming out soon!!!!!!!!!
    man I cant wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Excuse my ignorance, and asking here, as I don't go to Mac forii either.

Is each new OS dot a paid for upgrade?

Thanks.

NOT trying to hijack.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    10.1 (free)(probably because 10.0.x was buggy)
    10.2 (129.00)(I got mine for 79.00 after a 50.00 rebate)
    10.3 (from what I hear 129.00)
    I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round.
    -John Lennon
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tgpo
    KVCD
    A term invented by VCDhelp member Kwag to label customized encoding schemes he developed. A number of TMPGEnc MPEG encoding templates are available under the KVCD umbrella. These are more appropriately labelled as variations on XVCD, XSVCD, and XDVD. kvcd.net
    i honestly think the only problem would be muxing as a KVCD.. cuz XSVCD settings and XVCD settings are pretty wide open, those settings could almost definitely be used and muxed as an XSVCD or XVCD.. the biggest problem i see is when KVCD is mpeg-1 and has vbr..... most players do NOT like mpeg-1 being vbr.. and thas probably what makes the quality for the mpeg-1 higher.
    As below, so above and beyond, I imagine
    drawn outside the lines of reason.
    Push the envelope. Watch it bend.

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind. Withering my intuition leaving all these opportunities behind.
    Quote Quote  
  11. question. Does the method of burning a KVCD .bin file change from a normal s/vcd .bin file?
    Quote Quote