VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi everyone,

I was wondering if any one of you has used Linux to burn DVDs (not only video, data whatever).

I am using linux a lot for server applications (mail, web etc), but I use windows for everyday work, including burning CDs and DVDs.

A "friend" of mine wants to use linux to burn DVDs but there is a problem: he is a total newbie and, you guessed wright, he is asking me how to do it .

My question is, is it worth the trouble or just tell him to forget about it?. I personaly believe the second. Don't get me wrong, Linux is by far a better OS than windows but for something like that and for a newbie, I don't think so.

Please tell me your oppinion, and/or a nice way to discurage him
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    cdrecord-proDVD http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/glone/employees/joerg.schilling/private/cdrecord.html

If he is just looking to burn data and .iso files then it's possible with a few command lines. Anything other than that and I would say steer clear.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I run Linux on 4 machines and LOVE the OS, for lean speed but Mr. Gates gets my video editing vote. But I admit I am cruising the LINUX video boards and learning more and more, maybe someday??

(;-{> Dd
    (;-{> Dd
    Strength and Honor
    www.dvd9to5.com
    www.dvd9to5.com/forum/
    "For every moment of truth there's confusion in life"
    Black Sabbath/Ronnie James Dio
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    mabye... some of the best tools are opensource ( AVISynth, bbMPEG, VCDimager, mjpegtools, ..... ) some even already run under linux.

The biggest problems I see are lack of mpeg-2 encoders ( of any reasonable speed/quality ). The capture apps also suck and there is no standardized multimedia system for linux at his point.

That being said one of my upcomming projects is a linux Multimedia output device. Take generic PC + Hollywood+ card, ethernet and mmsv2 and instant playback device that I can stash behind the tv and play video's right off my home network. All of this for the price of recycled hardware. If I had to buy it the Hollywood+ card run $16. Not bad for an accelerated mpeg-1/mpeg-2 card with s-video out and the ability to do other video too ( with a powerful pc since it passes the pictures/video through a mpeg-1 filter so the card can display it ).
    Quote Quote  
  5. K3b ist ein GUI Frontend zum CD Recording fuer die Programme CDRdao und CDrecord. Das Professionelle Design und die sehr gute Uebersicht...

...machen K3b zu einem hervoragenden All-In-One Tool.

CVS Changelog:
    finished DvdBurnDialog with help texts and dvd specific settings
    - "growing" iso filesystems on DVD+RW and DVD-RW restricted overwrite should work now
    - DAO DVD writing should work
    - multisession DVD writing should work

sorry is german and iam not even a german , guess k3b is having progress
    Quote Quote  
  6. Yep.

I've used k3b as a burning software, plus dvdrecord to support DVD.

As for now I've burned Data CDs, VCDs, Data DVDs without any problem and using only the graphical environment.

It's as easy to use as Nero, and everything works flawlessy.

I haven't tried to author Video DVDs, yet. It will be the next step.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I only use Linux for burning using Xcdroast with the pro-dvd option. The few times I tried to burn under windows all I got were coasters. I run vmware with XP installed and do most but not all encoding under the WinXp But I do all capture under Linux with a cheap Hauppauge card I can encode straight to Divx5,0.
    Quote Quote