VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey all,

Just some opinions I am looking for..

I have a regular 27" TV and I want to know what the best aspect ratio I should choose is. I don't know how to identify what the source aspect ratio is...

does what I choose in TMPEGEnc for source aspect ratio affect how the image appears when I choose the Video Arrange Method?

What is the best aspect ratio to choose to get maximum fit without excessive borders and stretching? Anyone use the custom function? And what resolution do you choose if you do?

I could fiddle around, but I'd rather test out some suggestions. Thanks

-ICE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    your tv is 4: 3 ,

that would be the best based on your criteria. though you will lose a lot of picture in many cases ... thats why letter boxing is used ..
    Quote Quote  
  3. If I choose to letterbox then, how can I reduce the size of it without stretching the picture too much and losing a lot of the picture?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MaximumIce
    If I choose to letterbox then, how can I reduce the size of it without stretching the picture too much and losing a lot of the picture?
    Crop.
    I'm not online anymore. Ask BALDRICK, LORDSMURF or SATSTORM for help. PM's are ignored.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Cropping alters the picture too much...

Basically all I want to know is...I have a square-regular -joe schmoe TV,

What is the best aspect ratio choice to keep most of the picture -

Keep aspect ratio?
    Keep aspect ratio2?
    16:9 - keep aspect ratio?
    Custom size? What dimensions?
    4:3 525 line, 16:9, 1:1 - what? Etc..

Thanks

-Ice
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MaximumIce
    Cropping alters the picture too much...
    But you're asking to alter the picture.

There is no magic that can make it widescreen without shooting it that way AND having original film, or copying a 16:9 movie, or cutting apart a 4:3 version. That's it. No magic available for you. Sorry.
    I'm not online anymore. Ask BALDRICK, LORDSMURF or SATSTORM for help. PM's are ignored.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I know I am going to lose some,

but I'm looking for suggestions as to what the best setting is to best minimize letterboxing and loss of picture, I know I'll have to sacrifice some. That's a given, but what setting gives me the biggest/best bang for my buck - so to speak...

ICE
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  8. Video arrange method: fullscreen (keep aspect ratio)

This will center your film so that it takes up the full width of the video, and then letterbox as necessary.

But you have to set the source aspect ratio correctly. For DivX/xvid and other PC video sources that should set to 1:1 (VGA). ALL PC video (should have) a DAR of 1:1. It doesn't matter what it was before it became a DivX.

Your TV is ONLY capable of displaying 4:3.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Cool,

Thanks, so the 1:1 for Divx files is the source aspect ratio to choose and the full screen keep aspect ratio is the one I should choose. Cool. Thanks a lot. Now, what would I select as the source aspect ratio if I rip a DVD?

-Ice
    Quote Quote