VideoHelp Forum




+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2026
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Search Comp PM
    Greetings all - Could anyone offer software suggestions on how to tackle evening out the flicker (if that is the proper term) shown in the attached sample? If "flicker" is not the proper term, I apologize, but would most appreciate clarification and a point in the right direction.

    Thanks so much!!

    Joe
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. AVISynth Deflicker() function, used either alone or in conjunction with MDegrain2, with DCT=1. You can use really light degraining settings since you probably don't need degraining, but the DCT=1 setting does a really nice job.

    I only had time to use Deflicker() by itself and it removed about 80% of the flicker.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2026
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, John...I will play around with it.
    --Joe
    Quote Quote  
  4. Since there is no deflicker for Vapoursynth and I'm doing some filter chain testing atm. and I used that source, here's what ReduceFlicker (script-1,script-2), sharpening and denoising does,...

    Cu Selur
    Image Attached Files
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555, marcorocchini
    Quote Quote  
  5. Another approach using:
    0. KillerSpot (Spot removal) + DetailSharpen (to counter some of the later blurring)
    1. HQDN3D for the flickering (with a motion mask)
    2. mClean for removing the ghosing artifacts created by HQDN3D
    3. SMDegrain + DCT for stabilization in smaller regions.(temporalfix would probably be better)
    (0-2 are the important steps)

    Cu Selur
    Image Attached Files
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555, marcorocchini
    Quote Quote  
  6. Here's the result using the defaults for Deflicker() and also doing denoising with DCT=1, just as I recommended above:

    Deflicked

    I didn't bother to tune the Deflicker() window, but might have been able to get the last of the variations if I used a bigger window or, perhaps, stacked two Deflicker() calls.

    [edit]You'll see a lot of other changes, including slight cropping, because the easiest way for me to do this was to run it through my film restoration script. I didn't tune any of those parameters, so you'll see some artifacts from too-aggressive cleaning. The main thing to focus on is the (almost) lack of flicker.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    PAL User
    Search Comp PM
    John, that Deflicker works well.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    PAL User
    Search Comp PM
    And it came out OK using Vapourbox's Deflicker, Spotless and SMDegrain filter...
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  9. Hi folks,
    Anyone want to take a stab at this ? It's a segment of a full tape that I captured this morning.
    Don't worry about the quality of the capture. I just want the flicker gone.

    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1i42uxV3NoCkgqaiKTuU8dkiE17hNWtjg


    I tried the suggestions in the thread, but either I'm doing them wrong, or something else is not working.

    Any help will be much appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I attached what Spotless+Small_Deflicker+VHSClean does,..
    Image Attached Files
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555, marcorocchini
    Quote Quote  
  11. The football game video has different problems than the OP's film clip. The football clip is interlaced, and the flashes only happen on one field. A better solution for fixing this would be to bob the result, detect the flash (pretty easy to do), replace with a motion-estimated from the adjacent fields, and then weave the result back together.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    ..... and the flashes only happen on one field.....
    Yes. The flashes can happen with an even or an odd field. Out of curiosity: Any idea as to what may have caused this? "Normal" camera flashlights rather not, I think....
    Last edited by Sharc; 12th Sep 2026 at 15:32.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    Out of curiosity: Any idea as to what may have caused this? "Normal" camera flashlights rather not, I think....
    It looks to me like a VCR problem. Other people may have a better explanation.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    PAL User
    Search Comp PM
    @Selur, that looks good, comparatively speaking.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Using a script that shows the difference between subsequent even fields:

    Code:
    SeparateFields()
    SelectEven()
    Subtract(last, Loop(2,0,0))
    Image
    [Attachment 93771 - Click to enlarge]


    You can see that there is a bend in the waveform monitor in the lower 60 percent of the field. This is the flicker over that lower part of the frame. There is also some lesser flickering over the top 40 percent of the fields but I'm not going to address that here.

    You can also see there is horizontal time base shift (the vertical black and white bars at the left and right of the frame) of about 2 pixels each time the flicker occurs. These might be a good runtime test for substituting a "fixed" field each time one of these bright fields is detected. Or you might use the average brightness of a patch from the subtracted images as the test.

    In the attached video I've replaced the "bad" fields with fields interpolated from the field before and the field after (just because I have a filter that does this) using ConditionalFilter(). So the flickering is replaced by a vertical bounce. But it shows that the brightness flickering is nearly gone. Ie, this is merely a proof of concept. I won't have time to address this further until later in the week.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  16. I was going to post a script here to fix this, but the detection code I've used successfully in the past for "flash frames" (like what you get from a photo flash), wasn't sensitive or reliable enough. Here is a script I posted over doom9.org which is designed for detecting and then replacing "bad" frames:

    Finding individual "bad" frames in video; save frame number; or repair

    I thought I could use that old code, simply making adjustments to perform the fix on fields instead of frames, but I got hung up when my detection code didn't work well enough. If I get a chance, I may go back and look at that detection logic again. The flashes in the sample clip should be easy to detect if I just think about it some more.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Using a script that shows the difference between subsequent even fields:

    Code:
    SeparateFields()
    SelectEven()
    Subtract(last, Loop(2,0,0))
    Cool analysis method
    Quote Quote  
  18. script: https://pastebin.com/qtGMck0Z see
    main idea: use TFM analysis results as basis for when to modify the clip

    Cu Selur

    PPs.: it has problems with scene changes, but the general idea seems feasible.

    PPPs.: turns out using the average luma (comparing it to neighbors) seems to be the more stable solution
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by Selur; 15th Sep 2026 at 12:25.
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555, marcorocchini
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads

Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!