VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi everyone,

I'm using a Canon Legria HFG25, which records interlaced video with some halo effects.

I've been processing this footage with AviSynth using QTGMC and dehaloing.

I converted the material to 10-bit, but now I want to archive it in 8-bit at 15 Mb/s.

Question: Can I achieve this directly in one process, converting straight to 8-bit at 15 Mb/s, without first going through the 10-bit step? I'm concerned about quality - will it be preserved?

Thanks for any advice!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Curious: Up to now, I have not seen one example that shows that using QTGMC in 10bit would show any better quality than sticking with 8bit (unless the source already was 10bit and the loss you see is through converting to 8bit), so I wonder where does the idea come from that it would be better to convert 8it to 10bit before feeding it to QTGMC?
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    Curious: Up to now, I have not seen one example that shows that using QTGMC in 10bit would show any better quality than sticking with 8bit (unless the source already was 10bit and the loss you see is through converting to 8bit), so I wonder where does the idea come from that it would be better to convert 8it to 10bit before feeding it to QTGMC?
    The idea of processing 8-bit sources in 10-bit with QTGMC comes from the general principle that higher bit depths can reduce rounding errors in complex operations. This approach was suggested by GPT, mentioning "bound headroom" as a potential benefit. But yes, concrete evidence of improvement is lacking.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Ah, okay. I would have been surprised to see any (even synthetic) example where this would help with QTGMC.
    => in my option: I see no reason to up convert to 10bit (or even 16bit or 32bit) before deinterlacing with QTGMC.
    So I doubt that you will lose anything when deinterlacing 8bit content in 8bit QTGMC.
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote