VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I have been a big fan of ASUS mobo's for along time and I have built pc's for myself and others using ASUS mobo's and I have never had a problem updating the bios but always thought just incase something goes wrong I should brush up and watch some youtube video's.

Well a few nights ago I had my first bios not go right,well although those youtube video's didn't do jack for me because not one I have ever seen did they mention one important thing expect one video when I did a search as to why the Bios Flashback feature wasn't working correctly.

Let me start off by saying that I have just many usb sticks and just updated the bios and not fusing with anything other then formatting the usb stick to Fat32.

The thing that no youtube video I have ever seen mention is that you also must make sure that the usb stick is also formatted in MBR as well and not GPT.

I know for a fact that all my usb sticks have always been in GPT and when I have updated the bios it has always worked but on the night I had the bad bios flash and the Flashback feature wouldn't work as soon as I converted the partition table to MBR right away the Bios Flashback feature worked right away.

I'm posting this so you guys can see it for yourselves I got this from the ASUS website,I have 3 friends and none would believe but 1 after I showed him this,the other 2 guys thought oh you know must have got lucky on the last try.

[Attachment 79751 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I wouldn't trust asus for anything now,they set there bios to high which burned a lot of systems,i just use my c drive to update my bios,no need for usb drives.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    The problem for me is that it wasn't an update problem it was that it was an update gone wrong so I had to use the usb stick method,the biggest problem is that it wasn't just one reviewer it was pretty much everyone of them but one I found that mentioned the stick needing to also be in MBR.

I'm not thrilled with ASUS either but because of what's going on now with them I will make sure that their setting are turned off and it will turned onto Intel's or AMD spec's,also I'm not defending ASUS but it also wasn't just them turning the profiles up to high from what I seen reviews.

I would also rather trust ASUS over Gigabyte and some of the other mobo's out there,as far as I'm concerned every maker of electronics should be getting hit with massive fines from every which way because non of them seem to want to stand behind their warranty anymore.
    Quote Quote