VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I know I've mentioned this before on another thread but it's best to start a new one.

My Lenovo laptop I have had since June seems to be struggling to cope with internet browsing, partcularly with youtube when logged in and facebook. It could be the Whatsapp apk app that is doing this, but I haven't used it for a few weeks now but the laptop still behaves abnormally, ie. it will often crash at random times when I am on youtube or when I open a new tab. Pages then start to freeze and then Windows brings up a browser crash report (Firefox). HDD space plummets for no reason even when I haven't even saved anything and also the RAM. Using a different browser doesn't seem to help. I am getting the feeling down that I have a damaged laptop or it's a virus. I've never had any laptop or desktop act behave in this way, but then again none of other PCs have had only 56GB of HDD space. Using only a web browser for a few hours with no other programme opened shouldn't be making the disc space go down or keep crashing. It seems to struggle alot with facebook for some reason as well.

Anyone know what may be going on here?.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Look in the Windows event viewer at recent system and application entries.
    Perhaps you'll find some clues there
    Last edited by davexnet; 9th Mar 2024 at 14:27. Reason: typo
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Look in the Windows event viewer at recent system and application entries.
    Perhaps you'll find some clues there
    Ok thanks. Checked Event Viewer and there does appear to be alot of errors. I'm no expert on these things so here's a screenshot:
    [Attachment 77540 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Looks like quite a few issues there, I'd try running some basic Windows repair utilities and see if it helps.
    Close all running programs.
    Assuming your system drive is c: open an Admin command prompt and enter this command
    chkdsk c: /offlinescanandfix
    This will require you to reboot the system and the disk check will be done during the restart.
    Don't interrupt it, it may run for a while

Once the system has rebooted open the event viewer and look for this event, it will contain info about the
    disk check/repair
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	chkdsk.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	196.8 KB
ID:	77541  

Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Looks like quite a few issues there, I'd try running some basic Windows repair utilities and see if it helps.
    Close all running programs.
    Assuming your system drive is c: open an Admin command prompt and enter this command
    chkdsk c: /offlinescanandfix
    This will require you to reboot the system and the disk check will be done during the restart.
    Don't interrupt it, it may run for a while

Once the system has rebooted open the event viewer and look for this event, it will contain info about the
    disk check/repair
    There is alot, the errors and warnings go back to when I bought the laptop last June. Seems to me there is a fault with the machine.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by techmot View Post

There is alot, the errors and warnings go back to when I bought the laptop last June. Seems to me there is a fault with the machine.
    Well it's not usable like that. Either attempt to repair it or scrap it and get something better.
    That's the choice
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post

Well it's not usable like that. Either attempt to repair it or scrap it and get something better.
    That's the choice
    I should really send it back. I don't understand that command you gave me.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post

That's the choice
    You don't need to understand it, just type it in to the Admin CMD prompt and press enter.
    It's not a mystery, it just runs chkdsk, which will scan the disk file system for errors.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post

That's the choice
    You don't need to understand it, just type it in to the Admin CMD prompt and press enter.
    It's not a mystery, it just runs chkdsk, which will scan the disk file system for errors.
    Do I need to reboot before?. I ran it but it says this:
    Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.
    No further action is required.

58738687 KB total disk space.
    53243212 KB in 266773 files.
    210740 KB in 71263 indexes.
    0 KB in bad sectors.
    620511 KB in use by the system.
    65536 KB occupied by the log file.
    4664224 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
    14684671 total allocation units on disk.
    1166056 allocation units available on disk.
    Total duration: 1.31 minutes (78640 ms).

C:\Windows\system32>
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can run chkdsk with the /scan switch, and it will do an immediate read only check of the file system and advise if issues were found.
    Or you can run the /f or /offlinescanandfix switch to check and fix the disk at the next reboot.

Seems like no errors were reported, so that's good news.

You can try the system file checker which checks the files against a backup copy to make sure no files are damaged.
    From the Admin CMD prompt run,
    sfc /scannow
    It may take 30 minutes or so to finish
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    You can run chkdsk with the /scan switch, and it will do an immediate read only check of the file system and advise if issues were found.
    Or you can run the /f or /offlinescanandfix switch to check and fix the disk at the next reboot.

Seems like no errors were reported, so that's good news.

You can try the system file checker which checks the files against a backup copy to make sure no files are damaged.
    From the Admin CMD prompt run,
    sfc /scannow
    It may take 30 minutes or so to finish
    Thanks for that, but if there were no errors reported then why does it keep crashing (often at random times). It seems to crash more when I'm logged into youtube after a few hours of being on there, and then when I bring up a new tab in the browser and visit a different site or even log into facebook it starts to behave strangely and struggles to cope with loading of the pages and posts/photos etc as if it doesn't have the processing power to deal with it (my Fire tablet is quickly than this laptop), sometimes crashes with a crash report or worse the screen goes blank where I can't even press Ctrl Alt Delete to click on Task Manager in order to end the programme. I've never known any of my other older laptops and my old desktop PC (they were Windows XP, Vista and 8) behave in this way, especially the RAM being effected and HDD space going down for no reason. I don't think it's the browsers as it seems to do this with Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge (and Opera I think as well). I'm also getting my browser flash in and out and then come back on sometimes (hard to explain really). If this isn't a virus or it's a faulty system then I don't know what else it could be.

I'm getting error messages like this appear:
    [Attachment 77600 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by techmot; 11th Mar 2024 at 07:23.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you search the internet for error 0xc000007f one of the problems that may cause it is a shortage of disk space;
    either directly or because something else it corrupted (the registry for exampler) because of it.

May be worth running the RAM check just so you can rule it out at least.
    Close all open programs first, then from the Admin CMD prompt enter
    MDsched

You could take it for repair and diagnosis, but they'll probably just reinstall Windows. After all the problems you've been having,
    this may be the best bet

If you'd like some further advice and troubleshooting ideas, join the forum at https://www.elevenforum.com/
    Last edited by davexnet; 11th Mar 2024 at 17:36.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    If you search the internet for error 0xc000007f one of the problems that may cause it is a shortage of disk space;
    either directly or because something else it corrupted (the registry for exampler) because of it.

May be worth running the RAM check just so you can rule it out at least.
    Close all open programs first, then from the Admin CMD prompt enter
    MDsched

You could take it for repair and diagnosis, but they'll probably just reinstall Windows. After all the problems you've been having,
    this may be the best bet

If you'd like some further advice and troubleshooting ideas, join the forum at https://www.elevenforum.com/
    Thanks for that. I did the MDshed in Admin CMD check and no errors where found all seemed ok. It's really odd what is going on, it seems to be happening whenever I'm using the internet or my browser. I noticed when I go into Task Manager and check Firefox it is showing alot of tabs or windows that are open - quite a few, yet I don't know why. is this normal I don't know:
    [Attachment 77637 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You haven't tried Treesize yet, have you?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's normal for Firefox to open many different iterations of itself; I've two tabs open and see Firefox(6)
    in Task Manager/Apps. I don't know the full details but Firefox has divided it's functionality into many different processes.
    Probably the other browsers do similar.
    Does your laptop have 8GB of RAM? Even 4GB is OK for light usage; I ran my desktop for a year with only 4GB
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    It's normal for Firefox to open many different iterations of itself; I've two tabs open and see Firefox(6)
    in Task Manager/Apps. I don't know the full details but Firefox has divided it's functionality into many different processes.
    Probably the other browsers do similar.
    Does your laptop have 8GB of RAM? Even 4GB is OK for light usage; I ran my desktop for a year with only 4GB
    It only has 4GB of ram. I don't think it's the RAM. My old WinXP desktop PC had only 256MB of RAM and it never crashed the way my Lenovo does. The crashing seems to happen quite randomly.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I see your crash box above references filecoauth.exe, a file of Onedrive.
    You could try disabling Onedrive and see if it makes any difference.
    What about anti-virus? DO you have a third-party installed or are you running Windows Defender?
    What about other vendor installed bloatware?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    I see your crash box above references filecoauth.exe, a file of Onedrive.
    You could try disabling Onedrive and see if it makes any difference.
    What about anti-virus? DO you have a third-party installed or are you running Windows Defender?
    What about other vendor installed bloatware?
    I tried disabling One drive but I can't find the settings to disable it according to what I've read.
    Anti virus I have is Avast though it's just the basic version. I have Windows Defender but don't think it's running.
    Not sure about bloatware, but I suspect the apk WhatsApp app I have maybe the cause. The problem seems to be getting worse where whenever I try to open a new tab to log into my email it keeps crashing with a crash report error appear.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My advice - disable Onedrive. First turn off folder backup sync:
    https://www.elevenforum.com/t/turn-on-or-off-onedrive-folder-backup-syncing-across-win...-devices.4321/
    then turn off Onedrive:
    https://www.elevenforum.com/t/enable-or-disable-onedrive-in-windows-11.2318/

I would seriously consider uninstalling avast and whatsapp.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I know I've mentioned this before on another thread but it's best to start a new one.

My Lenovo laptop I have had since June seems to be struggling to cope with internet browsing, partcularly with youtube when logged in and facebook. It could be the Whatsapp apk app that is doing this, but I haven't used it for a few weeks now but the laptop still behaves abnormally, ie. it will often crash at random times when I am on youtube or when I open a new tab. Pages then start to freeze and then Windows brings up a browser crash report (Firefox). HDD space plummets for no reason even when I haven't even saved anything and also the RAM. Using a different browser doesn't seem to help. I am getting the feeling down that I have a damaged laptop or it's a virus. I've never had any laptop or desktop act behave in this way, but then again none of other PCs have had only 56GB of HDD space. Using only a web browser for a few hours with no other programme opened shouldn't be making the disc space go down or keep crashing. It seems to struggle alot with facebook for some reason as well.

are you on windows 10 or 11 ?? is it a factory install or
    did you install windows yourself ??

can you post the specs for your computer.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    https://www.elevenforum.com/t/turn-on-or-off-onedrive-folder-backup-syncing-across-win...-devices.4321/
    then turn off Onedrive:

In "Manage backup" folder none of my folders are backed up anyway as I never bothered with the OneDrive, so how, or why, does it need to be disabled?. In the link its saying you need to back up the folders. I really can't see how One Drive is causing the problem.

Why would I need to uninstall Avast?. I suspect WhatsApp is the cause, or rather the apk emulator.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    then turn off Onedrive:

In "Manage backup" folder none of my folders are backed up anyway as I never bothered with the OneDrive, so how, or why, does it need to be disabled?. In the link its saying you need to back up the folders. I really can't see how One Drive is causing the problem.

Why would I need to uninstall Avast?. I suspect WhatsApp is the cause, or rather the apk emulator.
    OK. Third party A/V is a complicating factor and it would be a troubleshooting technique. Same with Onedrive,
    since they can be reactivated easily enough.
    There's nothing to stop you uninstalling whatsapp and observing the laptop after.
    Good luck with it
    Last edited by davexnet; 13th Mar 2024 at 23:09.
    Quote Quote  
  23. If you have access to a working PC/Laptop and the internet I'd try downloading a Linux Live Image, follow the instructions to create a bootable USB memory stick, and try booting up your Lenovo with that newly created memory stick. If you can browse the web & play videos etc. in the Linux live session that you can't do whilst in Windows then it's almost certainly a Windows issue. In which case back up/copy onto memory stick/external hard drive/network or cloud location anything that you want to keep, and then reset windows. If, however, the laptop is still crashing and not letting you do the same things you can't do in Windows then it may well be a hardware issue. In that case it's probably better to let someone who knows what they're doing to have a look at it.

I'd recommend trying either the Linux Mint CINNAMON or MATE editions as they look pretty similar to Windows, so you should be able to navigate it more easily. Instructions on creating the bootable memory stick should be pretty prominent.

Let us know how you get on. Good luck.
    "Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds
    Quote Quote  
  24. If you have access to a working PC/Laptop and the internet I'd try downloading a Linux Live Image, follow the instructions to create a bootable USB memory stick, and try booting up your Lenovo with that newly created memory stick. If you can browse the web & play videos etc. in the Linux live session that you can't do whilst in Windows then it's almost certainly a Windows issue. In which case back up/copy onto memory stick/external hard drive/network or cloud location anything that you want to keep, and then reset windows. If, however, the laptop is still crashing and not letting you do the same things you can't do in Windows then it may well be a hardware issue. In that case it's probably better to let someone who knows what they're doing to have a look at it.

I'd recommend trying either the Linux Mint CINNAMON or MATE editions as they look pretty similar to Windows, so you should be able to navigate it more easily. Instructions on creating the bootable memory stick should be pretty prominent.

Let us know how you get on. Good luck.
    "Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    I know I've mentioned this before on another thread but it's best to start a new one.

are you on windows 10 or 11 ?? is it a factory install or
    did you install windows yourself ??

can you post the specs for your computer.
    Windows 11. It was pre-installed.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    then turn off Onedrive:

OK. Third party A/V is a complicating factor and it would be a troubleshooting technique. Same with Onedrive,
    since they can be reactivated easily enough.
    There's nothing to stop you uninstalling whatsapp and observing the laptop after.
    Good luck with it
    I uninstalled the Whatsapp APK bluestacks. Bluestacks according to programs was 2GB. After I unintalled it I now had 10GB free space, whereas before I was only averaging around 1-2GB, and that was before the disc space and RAM started to drop. So for some reason Bluestacks was taking up around 8GB of disc space. I have just checked again and my disc space has dropped to 7.93GB. About 30 mins ago it was about 9GB so it seems to be dropping for some strange reason, yet all I have been doing for the past hour is using my Firefox browser and have had no other programs open. Deleting history and cache won't make the disc space go back up.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/412594-Win11-Lenovo-laptop-low-ram-and-no-HDD-left#post2714925

Disk cleanup (Run as Administrator)/ Windows update cleanup << this may free up a few GB if you're lucky
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Admin_disk_cleanup.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	77693  

Quote Quote