VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    If I use MakeMKV to rip a Region B Blu-Ray, is it possible to convert it into a Region A Blu-Ray?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Hardback247 View Post
    If I use MakeMKV to rip a Region B Blu-Ray, is it possible to convert it into a Region A Blu-Ray?
    the disc should be region free when ripped.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You will need to re-encode it to play as a blu-ray to play on a region A player.Most players won't play pal region free here.You can play through a usb as mkv without re-encoding it.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    You can play through a usb as mkv without re-encoding it.
    Do you think that's a better solution?
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It is if you can do that,it takes a lot of time to convert a pal blu-ray to ntsc blu-ray.Back a few years ago i bought pal dvd disc cause they had better resolution and watched them through usb to blu-ray player after ripping them with makemkv.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search PM
    Technically, region and PAL/NTSC are different things. Supposedly, if a player can play a 50 Hz file off a USB stick, it should be able play a 50 Hz movie of a shiny disc. In practice, it seems that manufacturers do not obey this distinction. I have a couple of legit region-free 50 Hz DVDs and BDs, and my 60 Hz Sony BD player would not play them.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Are you using the backup function of makemkv? This doesn't seem to work.
    Quote Quote  
  8. This is useful information. I didn't realize that region and PAL/NTSC were different things. It seems that manufacturers don't always adhere to these standards, even if the player can theoretically play files at 50 Hz. I'll try using the "rip" function in makemkv instead of backing it up to see if that helps. I am also viewing this page https://spacemanoyunu.net/ . Thank you for your help!
    Last edited by PETOMO; 7th Mar 2024 at 02:09.
    Quote Quote