VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, does anyone know why my Lenovo laptop isn't showing the network settings on the desktop taskbar?. Earlier today I was able to connect to my Wi-Fi network. When I turn off my laptop I normally disconnected from the internet by switching it off on the settings. However, after rebooting about an hour later I sudden!y found that the settings to switch it back on was missing, and instead all that is displayed are:

Bluetooth
    Airplane mode
    Battery saver
    Focus assist
    Accessibility
    Brightness
    Sound

Where did the network setting to to?. I've never had it so this before. I never disabled anything.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Make airplane mode is turned off.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Go to the taskbar & right-click, choose "Taskbar settings".
    On Win10 computers, go to "Notification Area" - "Select which icons appear on the taskbar".
    Turn ON "Network" option.
    If it isn't listed, it is something else hardware related (or Airplane mode, as was suggested).

BTW, there is NO need to ever turn off/disconnect from the network if you are already turning off the computer - it is OFF when your computer is off. You're just making your startup steps more difficult by turning it off.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Go to the taskbar & right-click, choose "Taskbar settings".
    On Win10 computers, go to "Notification Area" - "Select which icons appear on the taskbar".
    Turn ON "Network" option.
    If it isn't listed, it is something else hardware related (or Airplane mode, as was suggested).

BTW, there is NO need to ever turn off/disconnect from the network if you are already turning off the computer - it is OFF when your computer is off. You're just making your startup steps more difficult by turning it off.

Scott
    I couldn't find that setting with Win11. All that appears is this (and yes Airplane Mode is turned off):
    [Attachment 77277 - Click to enlarge]

There was no "Turn on" network option. Something funny here, I've turned it off many times and it's never done this before.
    Last edited by techmot; 26th Feb 2024 at 14:01.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Go to control panel/Network and Sharing Center/change adapter settings and see if the wifi connection is there.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Go to control panel/Network and Sharing Center/change adapter settings and see if the wifi connection is there.
    Went into that setting its saying it's disabled. No idea why it says Windscribe, though I do have it installed but I never activated it because the free version wouldn't work. Maybe that is causing the problem.Image
    [Attachment 77278 - Click to enlarge]

Blurry pic as I couldn't get my tablets camera to focus.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by techmot View Post
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Went into that setting its saying it's disabled. No idea why it says Windscribe, though I do have it installed but I never activated it because the free version wouldn't work. Maybe that is causing the problem.Image

try this -
    Check if the network or wireless icon is hidden

Step 1: Click the small up arrow icon on the taskbar to view hidden icons.

Step 2: If the network or wireless icon is appearing there, simply drag and drop it to the taskbar area.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    Originally Posted by techmot View Post
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post

try this -
    Check if the network or wireless icon is hidden

Step 1: Click the small up arrow icon on the taskbar to view hidden icons.

Step 2: If the network or wireless icon is appearing there, simply drag and drop it to the taskbar area.
    Checked the small up arrow icon on the taskbar but the network and wireless icon isn't there. Very strange what has happened, like I said all I did was turn it off before shutting down Windows. My Lenovo has been the worst laptop I've ever had, particularly when it comes disc space and RAM dropping like flies for no reason even when all I was doing was using a browser for a few hours. So it's no real surprise I'm having this problem. Either hardware failure, a bug, a virus or something is conflicting.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A co-worker of mine has a physical touch sensitive button above his keyboard that turns wifi on and off...maybe a possibility?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by fooledagain View Post
    A co-worker of mine has a physical touch sensitive button above his keyboard that turns wifi on and off...maybe a possibility?
    Well as it happens I just booted up the laptop again after shutting down, clicked on the settings icon and now the wifi setting is now displayed again. I was about to press the F7 key but now I don't need to. I have no idea what was going on there.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Maybe your Fn key is sticky/stuck, so an inadvertent touch of the certain function key might be turning it off (or on).

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 26th Feb 2024 at 22:48.
    Quote Quote