VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi

Please come someone suggest a long lasting DVD-R disc? Anything other than Don't, TDK, Memorex and Verbatim as they are expensive.

I was thinking of getting Arita brand. Are they good? And or Media Range brand?

Also, which would be best to get DVD+R or DVD-R for storage and for playing on a DVD or Blu Ray player? Mainly for storing MP4 MKV files.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If 5-10 years is good enough for you, you can buy any. (Assuming you use a good burner and check every single disc for error rates after burning!!! Cannot stress this enough.)

If you want more than that, you need quality media. Quality media is not cheap. I have been burning DVD for 17 years.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Verbatim AZO is the only reliable brand left. Not the "Life Series". Make sure the packaging says "AZO".
    Last edited by jagabo; 4th Nov 2023 at 09:12.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search PM
    I would be more worried - and I am - about availability of DVD readers than about durability of media.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bwaak View Post
    I would be more worried - and I am - about availability of DVD readers than about durability of media.
    Indeed. Normal blu-ray player cannot read 4K disc. Why bother keep miniDV tape backup when there is no deck or miniDV camcorder exist go forward. The best is still a hard drive or SSD.
    Quote Quote  
  6. DVD and BD movie discs are also reaching end-of-life as products. For example:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/why-best-buys-decision-to-drop-dvds-hits-so-...rd/ar-AA1iqpHW

A drop in availability of DVD and BD players and readers will follow.

I store my video collection (over 8TB) on SATA hard drives. I have a 16 TB drive in my NAS (just an old Windows computer) and a pair of 8 TB USB 3.0 drives for backup. I use FreeFileSync to sync the backups about once a month. And its full file compare function to verify the backups every six months or so. This is far faster, simpler, and cheaper than juggling 2000 DVDs.
    Last edited by jagabo; 4th Nov 2023 at 16:06.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    DVD and BD movie discs are also reaching end-of-life as products. For example:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/why-best-buys-decision-to-drop-dvds-hits-so-...rd/ar-AA1iqpHW

I store my video collection (over 8TB) on SSD hard drives. I have a 16 TB drive in my NAS (just an old Windows computer) and a pair of 8 TB USB 3.0 drives for backup. I use FreeFileSync to sync the backups about once a month. And its full file compare function to verify the backups every six months or so. This is far faster, simpler, and cheaper than juggling 2000 DVDs.
    Which brand SSD? I have SSD as well, 5TBS.. I'm not a PC expert like you.

I have Seagate and Kangaru brands. Windows 8 OS Laptop

FreeFileSync?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by alih786 View Post

I store my video collection (over 8TB) on SSD hard drives. I have a 16 TB drive in my NAS (just an old Windows computer) and a pair of 8 TB USB 3.0 drives for backup. I use FreeFileSync to sync the backups about once a month. And its full file compare function to verify the backups every six months or so. This is far faster, simpler, and cheaper than juggling 2000 DVDs.

FreeFileSync?
    Oops, I meant to say SATA, not SSD. SSD is way to costly for bulk storage. I just edited the earlier post to fix that error.

FreeFileSync: https://freefilesync.org/
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by alih786 View Post

FreeFileSync?
    Oops, I meant to say SATA, not SSD. SSD is way to costly for bulk storage. I just edited the earlier post to fix that error.

FreeFileSync: https://freefilesync.org/
    How do I get a SATA on a desktop PC and a laptop? And how much would it cost?

Kind Regards
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by alih786 View Post
    How do I get a SATA on a desktop PC
    Any desktop made in the last 10 years will have internal SATA ports.

and a laptop?
    Just use USB drives.

And how much would it cost?
    It depends on the size of the drives you get. 8 TB drives run about US$165 these days.
    https://www.amazon.com/Elements-Desktop-Hard-Drive-WDBWLG0080HBK-NESN/dp/B07D5V2ZXD/
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post

FUD

There's been at least 27,000 titles released on DVD for 2023. It is best buy on the way out not DVD. Hollywood has supported the format by only 2%, the rest by boutiques, indy and others.
    Last edited by 4kblurayguru; 10th Jan 2024 at 08:45.
    make video everyday
    Quote Quote  
  12. There are some DVD Box Sets I want to buy but I keep putting it off. We are saving up for something important but I don't want to lose out on buying certain favorite shows on DVD as it looks like that is winding down.
    Quote Quote  
  13. OH, move away from dvd's, I ripped all mine, including commercial ones, to my nas and back it up onto a duplicate nas as I do not like raid. Yes buy commercially made dvd's but for your own staorage don;t use blank dvd's, not a long term storage medium these days.space saving as well. a 8TB hard drive can store over 1000 dvd's I store as ISO. Google chromecast with the right app can play dvd's stored in this way if you like the menus , and do not want to convert to mp4/mkv for streaming.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  14. And in the end, your heirs will just throw out those DVD's because they will no longer have dvd drives to play them. Same with hard drives as most of my friends kids don't even use computers now. They do everything on their phones.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  15. And I sadly reflect how much interest our heirs will have in our collections.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  16. Of course I would back the DVDs up and I prefer just .mp4 files and 480p is good enough as far as I am concerned. I just started to get worried that maybe in a year or two's time when I go to Amazon Canada DVDs will no longer be for sale or they will price them so high in the dying days of DVD that one can't justify the cost. Thankfully it is mostly just classic shows I care about and the prices for the most part are reasonable. However we are saving up to accomplish something much more important than a TV and movie collection; thus I hate to subtract from that money.

I am wary of DVDs as you get some that have scratched discs somewhere in the box set and thus some episodes can't be backed up.

As long as the movies and TV shows give me pleasure for as long as possible that is all I can ask for.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by 4kblurayguru View Post
    FUD
    . It is best buy on the way out not DVD.
    No.

I was thinking of getting Arita brand. Are they good? And or Media Range brand?
    No, all cheap junk.

Verbatim AZO is the only reliable brand left. Not the "Life Series". Make sure the packaging says "AZO".
    Correct, AZO.
    But Life Series hasn't been made in years. It's either "Verbatim" or "Verbatim AZO".

Originally Posted by TreeTops View Post
    because they will no longer have dvd drives to play them.
    This is why claims of "100 years" or "1000 years" are stupid. Most drives fail within 5 years, making it a format that more resembled Beta (Betamax) than anything archival. It's only archival "for now", for as long as drives are still manufactured.

Originally Posted by Skiller View Post
    If 5-10 years is good enough for you, you can buy any. (Assuming you use a good burner and check every single disc for error rates after burning!!! Cannot stress this enough.)
    If you want more than that, you need quality media. Quality media is not cheap. I have been burning DVD for 17 years.
    No, don't buy "any", that is a disaster waiting to happen. If you don't value your data, sure "any". But then, why bother backing up at all?
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote