VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A few filters I've come across have "Clang" in their variants:

[Attachment 75170 - Click to enlarge]

I'm interested in the background behind the term to help me to better understand the differences in the files available. The various options caused me considerable grief when trying to set up QTGMC, and I came across it again last night setting up Spotless.

Any insight into the term would be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Clang is set of tools for compiling the binaries . The other commonly used one is msvc
    https://clang.llvm.org/

The main differences are speed of compiling , execution speed, but also compatibility . For plugin speed it can be +/- ~5% . Speed differences are generally minor and not a big deal for end user. Various avisynth benchmarks are posted between compilers if you search, but someone on a different system (e.g. Intel vs. AMD) can get the opposite results

But for compatibility, for whatever reason, sometimes clang works worse on some systems, msvc on others. I would say there are a few more more reported issues with clang in avisynth environment compared to msvc, but it's still only a handful of people that have problems . Nobody has been able to figure out why it doesn't work for some people
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks PDR, so in the above example, everything else being equal and working, I could use the x64 files or the x64_Clang files?

And I assume that the msvc files are the non-Clang ones?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Use the x64 files . (For generic advice I would avoid Clang - only because a few people seem to have issues with those compiles)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks.
    Quote Quote