VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    This is just a rant, but my curiosity forced me to share this with the internet.

This YouTube member keeps subscribing to my YouTube channel several times a day, Yes several times a day, I'm assuming the only way to do this is by subscribing and unsubscribing at the same time, He quits for few days and then does it again for several days, This has been going on for almost two years now. While it doesn't harm me other than the annoying notifications of new fake subcribtions I get, this does rise a question to what is the motive or benifit behind it? Is there a subscription count reward or something for this type of activity? So far he is the only member who's doing it, If it was a thing I would assume I get more junk subscriptions not just from him.

I blocked him but that didn't prevent him from subscribing, It may just prevent him from commenting on the videos, I tried to contact him but there is no way to do that from his YT channel, I reported him several times to YT staff but I guess this type of activity is not against YT rules. Again not a huge deal but I just want to share the weirdness of this behavior and wanna know if anyone is aware of it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That's funny.

It has to be a bot of some kind. I can't image some bored insane person doing this on his own.

In terms of the point, it reminds me of a The Big Bang Theory episode, where Sheldon tells Raj he can put a desk in the office. So he brings in this huge desk, and Sheldon states there was no point in doing that. Raj says the point was the piss him off, and it's working perfectly as planned. I can only guess the motive is similar here?

Never underestimate the many ways that a person can be an ******* on the internet.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  3. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Even if it is a bot, what is the reason behind it? I see bots commenting on YT videos with links or contact info to lure people into scams, I just don't understand this.
    Quote Quote  
  4. It sure sounds like a bot. Dellsam does your subscriber count go up each time the bot subscribes?
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    While it is indeed a strange behavior, it seems like this user is just trying to get your attention or perhaps messing around, as there's no known benefit from subscribing and unsubscribing to a channel repeatedly. There is no known "subscription count reward" for such activities on YouTube. The platform's algorithms focus on watch time and viewer engagement rather than subscription counts, so this person's actions aren't helping them gain any advantage.

As for blocking, you're correct, it prevents the person from commenting but doesn't stop them from subscribing or watching your videos. Since this is a minor nuisance and not directly abusive or harmful, YouTube might not act urgently on your reports.

One way to mitigate the annoyance is to adjust your notification settings. You can limit the types of notifications you receive, and in this case, you might choose to stop receiving notifications when someone subscribes.
    Quote Quote  
  6. If subscription counts don't count then why are you tubers always asking me to Please Subscribe? You would think that Advertisers would want to know the number of subscribers also. I sure would if I paid to advertise on you tube videos.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  7. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    No, A person subbing and un-subbing would not raise the subscription count, Those Youtube members asking people to subscribe not subscribe and unsubscribe, There is a big distinction.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    Even if it is a bot, what is the reason behind it? I see bots commenting on YT videos with links or contact info to lure people into scams, I just don't understand this.
    Well when i read this i quickly figure maybe YouTube should add an function to prevent an user to act this way and in return allso the website function the way to the point it become disturbing when someone do that! Maybe it was just an user that had realised that this function is pretty bad and now trying to use some sort of communication with you about this!
    Quote Quote