VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi, another noob with a question about hacking DVD players.

I'd like to get a DVD set that's only available as Region 2.
    I have a cheapie little LG DP132 DVD player, and I read the page on hacking it, and intended to try it.
    However, I saw an eBay DVD seller's listing that said you also need a PAL-compatible TV. After reading another long thread on here about hacking players and TV inputs, I am now a little confused as to whether it would work at all or do I need a particular kind of "multisystem" or whatever TV as well.
    Composite/RCA cables.
    I have an Insignia NS-24D310NA17 TV. I've pored through the specs page and don't see anything enlightening.
    I don't currently have any R2 DVDs to test.

Can anyone offer some insight?
    Thank you.
    Last edited by ABGM; 28th Jul 2023 at 01:44.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    By hacking it, do you mean making the DVD player works for both region 1 and region 2? I hope you will not brick your player during the firmware installation.
    Hopefully you will succeed with that and the best way to test if your TV can play PAL is to buy a DVD title for region 2. I am sure Amazon has plenty of them or you can order from Amazon UK.
    The TV manual doesn't mention if it is multisystem.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    On second thought, why do you need to play DVD region 2?
    I haven't bought a single DVD over the past 15 years.
    You can find almost everything in streaming websites for a fraction of the cost of one DVD.
    Also you can test if your TV can play a PAL video by downloading a PAL video file to a flash disk, connect it to the USB port on your TV.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The short answer : No

The longer answer: While some US HDTV's (if I checked the right model) will allow you to change the timing/frame rate from 60hz/29.97 to 50hz/25. There does not appear to be such an option here and it only has 60hz

The USB test suggestion will not work since, reading the full manual, that is reserved for pictures and no video input.

The simplest solution is to play the Region2 dvds on your PC using VLC. Region Codes are ignored and also NTSC/PAL is irrelevant.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Subtitles View Post
    I hope you will not brick your player during the firmware installation.
    ... and the best way to test if your TV can play PAL is to buy a DVD title for region 2..
    Firmware...? The hacks for this player are listed on a page for it on this forum. Supposedly a hidden menu to make it Region 0.
    As I mentioned, the reason for the question is that I'd like to buy a Region 2 set.

Because it's a really old British series that isn't available online. It used to be, where I watched it once, and now it's not.

Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    The short answer : No...

The simplest solution is to play the Region2 dvds on your PC using VLC. Region Codes are ignored and also NTSC/PAL is irrelevant.
    No, I don't need a particular TV, or no, it won't work?
    I do have VLC. I just didn't wanna get into messing with the you-only-get-4-switches region coding on it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ABGM View Post
    I hope you will not brick your player during the firmware installation.
    ... and the best way to test if your TV can play PAL is to buy a DVD title for region 2..
    Firmware...? The hacks for this player are listed on a page for it on this forum. Supposedly a hidden menu to make it Region 0.
    As I mentioned, the reason for the question is that I'd like to buy a Region 2 set.

Because it's a really old British series that isn't available online. It used to be, where I watched it once, and now it's not.

Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    The short answer : No...

No, I don't need a particular TV, or no, it won't work?
    I do have VLC. I just didn't wanna get into messing with the you-only-get-4-switches region coding on it.
    if you copy the discs with dvdfab or anydvd or makemkv, the discs will be region free and will play on any dvd player you have.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No. Your tv will not work. The issue is the PAL format. Over here we do not have this issue. All tvs display PAL and NTSC. Region Codes are always an issue but you have been given ways to make the disks Region-Free

And Region Code switches only apply to software DVD players such as PowerDVD. VLC is a general purpose player and this does not apply.

BTW what is this tv series ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The answer is probably here.
    https://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks/lg-dp132/12291

I recently change the DVD of my LG BP450 to Region 0 using this method.
    Create the folder and subfolder and download the montblanc.txt for avforums.com. Rename the file as per the guide.
    Use CDBurnerXP and burn the CD-R.

Unplug the player, and plug in and switch ON. If possible don't power ON the unit and press Open tray(Open tray not respond, hit power ON). Put in the CD-R and Close tray.
    Wait for the message on screen. If message appear with current region code, change to 0.
    Repeat a few times if it does not work. Process fail if the player read as data disc. It should be DISC only.
    Quote Quote