VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. hi i have got 3 questions i need to ask if anyone knows how theses can be done a easy way

1st question
    how do you remove the black bars from video files

i downloaded a video file and it has black bars at the top and bottom of the video file
    i have also seen some video files that have black bars at both sides of a video files. so my question is how do you remove the black bars from video files
    some old content that was filmed like in the 1970s or 1980s or even the 1990s have black bars like movies on a tv have the black bars if i recorded a movie off tv it would have black bars in them.or even some old movies that you download have black bars in them so i dont know of anyway software that will do this does anyone know of a way to do this.

2nd question
    remove adverts from video files automatically

can this be done like like if i recorded a movie or tv series off tv and it has adverts in them or even if someone downloaded a movie off a website. some websites have adverts in the video files like pluto tv site which is a free site no login or anything with that site when you download a video file it has adverts in them. can they be removed automatically
    the only way i know of is to go through the video file and cut the adverts out yourself but if you had a load or movies or episodes of a tv series. it would take ages to do that way so is there any software that will remove adverts from video files automatically like is there any software that will go through a video file and cut the adverts out
    i dont know of any software that will do this at all or even heard of one.

3rd question
    remove watermarks from video files

if you record a movie or even a episode of a tv series off the tv it has a watermark in it or even if you downloaded a video file off bbc iplayer site that also has a watermark in the video file. so my question is there anyway possible to remove the watermark from the video file without bluring the video file some softwares do blur the video file when you are trying to remove a watermark from a video file. the only way i know off is photoshop software that does remove watermarks from video files. i have never used photoshop software but i have heard you have to go through each frame. so if a movie was like 2 hours long it would have a load of frames in the video file so it would take ages to do that way manual.so is there any software or a other way to remove watermarks from a video file frame by frame but done automatically were it removes the watermark frame by frame then it would not be blur ery.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    1. Sure. It is possible to crop away those black bars. But here's the thing. Let's say the entire frame is 1920*1080 with the bars to allow for a wider resolution. Crop them away and you could then, for example, have a vertical length of 820 pixels. Play that cropped video full-screen and your player automatically adds those bars back. No gain made. In fact you lose since the cropping requires a re-encode which could lose you some quality.

2. I do not know of any software that automatically detects a commercial thus allowing you to edit them out without a manual process. Sometimes the commercial might have a different resolution to the main content so, I guess, then you could devise a script to note that. But otherwise the simplest way is a manual edit with a tool that does not require a re-encode of the main content.

3. Logos/Watermarks are there for a purpose. If they are not too obstrusive those avisynth maestros could write a script that samples the area beyond the logo. But such work maybe even more counter-productive if the area is constantly changing and you then end up with a mess. Blurring is not perfect but there are some good ones out there. Even basic ones can be better than nothing.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Ret. Hippie Guitar Player Axel Slingerland's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by barry25 View Post
    1st question
    It can be done, but it's kind of like making a square peg round to make it fit in a round hole. Hardly worth the effort.

By the way, if the bars are on the sides, that usually indicates a 4:3 standard definition video that may have been formatted for 16x9 or something similar. If the bars are on the top and bottom, that's "Letter Box" format. You can zoom in on it, but when the bars are gone, so is a good portion of the top and bottom or the sides of the video. You could also stretch the top and bottom or the sides to fill the screen, but then it might look awful. There is always a reason why you can't win, so I leave it be.

2nd question
    I use yt-dlp to download and in my (limited) experience, ads are not in the video files you want, but are in separate files that are "inserted" at the website programmers choice of times when running the video online, sort of like how SRT or VTT text is displayed, but done differently. When it comes to point in the video where where SRT or VTT text needs to be displayed, it pops up where ever it usually does in your video player, and is displayed for however long the SRT or VTT code specifies.

When it comes to point in the video where where an ad is programmed to appear, the video you're watching stops and an ad video plays. When the ads are finished, the main video continues. Note that this is the way it's supposed to work, but doesn't always. For example, I downloaded a video once that when an ad was supposed to run, the video froze, you could hear the audio of the ad playing but there was no video for it, and when it was finished, the main video started again from where it had stopped.

Every video file I have downloaded (in the 20,000 range now) with a few exceptions that were usually due to errors in programming of the website, the video you want is the only the thing that is downloaded.

3rd question
    As the old saying goes, "The Cure is worse than the Disease." It's not worth bothering with. If I download something with a watermark and I don't like it, I don't keep it.
    Last edited by Axel Slingerland; 9th Sep 2023 at 11:44.
    I admit to being a Rookie, and prone to Rookie Mistakes
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    1st question
    http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Crop

2nd question
    I doubt that such automatic and reliable thing is possible.
    Manual -> http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Trim

3rd question
    https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=176860
    Quote Quote  
  5. To remove the ads, you may want to try VedeoReDo. It has even a way to detect them automatically, but you will have to confirm the cut points manually. VideoRedo can recreate the video without the ads without re-encoding (except a few frames). That's great to retain the original video quality.

Unfortunately, VideoRedo is not free.
    r0lZ - PgcEdit homepage Hosted by VideoHelp (Thanks Baldrick)
    - BD3D2MK3D A tool to convert 3D BD to 3D SBS/T&B/FS MKV
    Quote Quote  
  6. Anonymous84
    --
    Last edited by Anonymous84; 8th May 2024 at 18:22. Reason: --
    Quote Quote  
  7. I areee. VideoRedo can help to detect where they are, but is not good to detect precisely the cut points. It's why you have to verify.
    And usually, I do it entirely manually. In Europe, there are usually only 2 ad sequences in a movie, and there are easy to find.
    r0lZ - PgcEdit homepage Hosted by VideoHelp (Thanks Baldrick)
    - BD3D2MK3D A tool to convert 3D BD to 3D SBS/T&B/FS MKV
    Quote Quote