VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I’ve been trying out CloneDVD as it comes highly recommended to me, but I’ve been largely disappointed with it. The first copy I made didn’t play correctly in VLC player, but did play on PowerDVD. The second issue is with the layer break. I’ve been told numerous times by numerous people CloneDVD preserves the layer break of the original media, but that is not my experience. I checked a couple of DVDs and the original layer break was very different to what CloneDVD stated. ImgBurn on the other hand picked it up perfectly.

I tried to treble-check with IFOedit and PGCEdit, but I don’t know how to work it out from them. Any help would be appreciated?

Thirdly CloneDVD did not make perfect ISOs of the disc.

Sorry for the long winded introduction, but my question is… in conjunction with a copy protection remover, does ImgBurn deal with Structural Protection ok? Are there any downsides to ImgBurn or indeed another program even better? I believe DVD fab preserves the layer break, but I haven't checked that out yet…
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think imgburn has any protection removing capabilities, neither read nor write
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Use DVD Passkey and then IMGBurn if needed. For me I no longer deal with handling and playing physical material other than ripping to MKV the main movie.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  4. CloneDVD despite it's name is not a 1:1 copying program it's used for shrinking and customizing DVDs. If your goal is to make 1:1 copies of a DVD (and remove structure protection when present) the best is AnyDVD (passkey works too but I like Redfox's tool better). Though I haven't tested it anyDVD does have an ISO rip mode, not sure on layer break side you can ask over at their forums as it's still very active. If IMGburn is setting the LB correctly that's all you need. Obviously you know you have to use DVD+R DL media as -R have a fixed LB that can't be changed from what I recall.
    Quote Quote