VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I wanna build a new computer but, I've got uncertainties about compatability, harware conflicts, type of memory, type of CPU fan, and chipset issues.

I'm not a gamer. I would like to capture some small amount of video from my camcorder (no S-Video) and from broadcast television (cable tv).

Here's what I'm looking at. Lemme know what you think.

Case: INWIN - Q500 ATX Full Tower ATX 300W 7-3.5in 5-5.25in Tower
    Mobo: Micro-Star - K7T Turbo RAID Socket A KT133A ATX
    CPU: MAD - Athlon Thunderbird - 1.4 GHz 266MHz FSB / 256K
    CPU fan: ???
    Mem: Crucial - 32X64-7.5 256MB SYNC PC133 168PIN 3.3V 133MHZ DIMM
    Video: Matrox - Marvel G400-TV
    HDD: IBM - 60GB EIDE ULTRA ATA-5 DESKSTAR 7200RPM 60GXP
    CD-RW: Yamaha - 20X10X40 CD-RW INT

Thanks to all.
    Quote Quote  
  2. just don't get a soundblaster live to go with it unless u really, really want one.

this is cos there r problems associated with the use of soundblaster live and the via chipset.

some people seem to have no conflicts while others never manage to resolve their conflicts
    Quote Quote  
  3. btw, what's the difference between the RAM I listed above and this:
    Crucial - 32X64-7.5 256MB SYNC 168PIN 3.3V 133MHZ DIMM

Also, I have seen some negative comments about the VIA 686B chipset,
    which is used on the mobo I listed above. What's the story on that?
    Should I go with this board or, perhaps the MSI KT266 Pro-R, which uses
    the VIAŽ VT8233 chipset? Or, ASUS perhaps?

Thanks again ppl.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    go SCSI!!!!
    THIS IS HARDCORE
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Geez... when you look at Crucial, look at the specs (CAS2, CAS3). I don't know WHAT those part numbers mean but go for CAS2 for overclocking ability, CAS3 if you really don't care.

For video editing, go for as much RAM as possible. It's dirt cheap right now anyways. The only problem with the 686B (Via) is *possible* compatibility problems with Soundblaster Live. Just get a different sound card. Problem solved.

Your other specs look ok. It's just like a car. Go for the best you can afford or you'll pay for it later on.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm one of those people with a VIA chipset and SB Live card with no problems.

But you should look at the Game Theater XP card by Hercules.. I think that was the manufacturer.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok price to performance SCSI Utlra 160is crap! at $250 for a 20gig drive it is way to much, I'll take my 250 and buy a ata100 100gb 5400 rpm drive.

If you use TMPGEnc I would go for a p4 1.7 (on pricewatch it is running about $531 with the asus board) because the Creators of tmpge are optimizing it for the p4 sse2 instruction set. which means it will whoop anything with the probable exception to the athlon 4 when it comes out.

Im an avid fan of amd but the p4 has potential. a overclocked t-bird @ 1.7 vs a 1.7 p4 in the optimized sse2 tmpge is supposed to whoop it by (from what i hear) by at least 40 percent.

so get a p4 it has alot of potential or at least th a4 but dont waste your money on a overclocked 1200 t-bird.
    Quote Quote