VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey guys,
    I could really use your help. I was watching a few episodes of the American Christian computer animated video series VeggieTales in German, and I noticed that whenever Qwerty (the computer on the countertop) shows a Bible verse, the backgrounds and fonts used are different from what was in the English versions of the episodes, respectively. Here's a comparison to show you what I mean. The episode I used as an example is Gideon: Tuba Warrior:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kaN-xAKQ7Ct2akjZY8YjnzlSwCd3PkYO/view?usp=drivesdk

I also noticed that in the German dubs of Rack, Shack & Benny, Duke and the Great Pie War (which I only saw the verse localization for thanks to a now-unavailable English vs. German comparison video), Gideon: Tuba Warrior, and Moe and the Big Exit, the German verse stays on Qwerty's screen after Bob or Larry have finished reading the verse, like with the English versions of those episodes.

Out of curiosity... Does anyone know how they did the animation for when Qwerty reveals the verse in the German dub? (That is, replacing the English verse with the German verse and having the latter use similar techniques to the former) If so, how did they do it? I also would like to know how the German verse managed to stay on Qwerty's screen in the German dub.

Also, I am wondering if this can be achieved in kdenlive, as that is the video editing software I currently use, and also because I plan on localizing the Bible verses for a few German fandubs of scenes from VeggieTales episodes I plan on doing. If not, could someone please help us? If so, let me know.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm not very familiar with kdenlive, not sure if it can do it.

It's known as a "screen replacement" or "screen insert" - and fairly simple to do in standard programs like after effects, mocha, resolve, hitfilm, blender etc...

It usually involves motion tracking with compositing . Because of rounded "cartoony" edges and warping bouncy deformations, it's easier with newer versions of trackers that use "mesh" tracking (instead of rectangles, or flat planes), or scripts/plugins like Lockdown 2. If the replacement area is just simple "rectangular" you can use a "corner pin"

There are many tutorials on youtube and similar sites, search for those keywords such as "screen replacement" and "compositing". There should be some tutorials for kdenlive

You can definitely do it manually in kdenlive for the rectangle scenes with corner pin (manually keyframe the animation). But to cover some of the bouncy animations, you'd need a bezier warp or some type of warp tool because of the rounded edges, and it can become tedious doing things manually instead of tracking
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    I'm not very familiar with kdenlive, not sure if it can do it.

It's known as a "screen replacement" or "screen insert" - and fairly simple to do in standard programs like after effects, mocha, resolve, hitfilm, blender etc...

It usually involves motion tracking with compositing . Because of rounded "cartoony" edges and warping bouncy deformations, it's easier with newer versions of trackers that use "mesh" tracking (instead of rectangles, or flat planes), or scripts/plugins like Lockdown 2. If the replacement area is just simple "rectangular" you can use a "corner pin"

There are many tutorials on youtube and similar sites, search for those keywords such as "screen replacement" and "compositing". There should be some tutorials for kdenlive

You can definitely do it manually in kdenlive for the rectangle scenes with corner pin (manually keyframe the animation). But to cover some of the bouncy animations, you'd need a bezier warp or some type of warp tool because of the rounded edges, and it can become tedious doing things manually instead of tracking
    Thanks for the suggestions and advice! I might try those. I just don't know when, given I have a three-day a week job going on as of now, and also because of school.
    Last edited by EditingFan12; 4th Mar 2022 at 06:13.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!