VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all, I have a Sony CCD-FX520 Camcorder that I'm trying to digitize some tapes with, and I'm having an issue with playback on to my PC. I have it run through a ROXIO VHS to DVD capture card(which works fine with VHS tapes on a VCR)

When I try to play the camcorder on it it either doesn't show a picture at all, or it shows intermittently on the software, but shows up fine in the viewfinder. Also it has no problem capturing the audio, but seems like video playback is not working correctly. My only guess so far is that the head is possibly dirty because as I play the tapes, more and more seems to show up at once, but I have no way of cleaning the head.

Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    If it plays in the viewfinder fine it is not dirty heads, It sounds like you need some line time base stabilization between the camcorder and the capture device, You either need to get a better camcorder with built in line TBC, a Digital8 camcorder capable of playing back analog tapes or a DVD recorder in the workflow that has some sort of line timing correction.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    If it plays in the viewfinder fine it is not dirty heads, It sounds like you need some line time base stabilization between the camcorder and the capture device, You either need to get a better camcorder with built in line TBC, a Digital8 camcorder capable of playing back analog tapes or a DVD recorder in the workflow that has some sort of line timing correction.

So after a bit of research, I think I am going to go for a Digital8 camcorder to play these tapes back and digitize them from there. This is the list I am looking at to find a Camcorder(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital8#Analog_recordings).
    I am very new to this video capture thing(VHS tapes are way easier to capture!) and I appreciate the help!

edit: My uncle also has a Sanyo FWZV475F, would this work or is it a cheaper unit?
    Last edited by jmm8477; 22nd Jan 2022 at 19:21.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Check the user manual.
    Quote Quote