VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am trying to upscale some 720p and also DVD movies. I have been using "Topaz Video Enhance AI" (just the free trial), and it seems to d a decent job, however I'm unsure about one of the options in it.

Using the regular "Artemis High Quality" setting, seems to give decent results, however there is another option called "Theia Fine Tune Detail" (and also "Fidelity", I can't tell the difference between the two). It produces much sharper results, but it also seems to screw with the colour of the image, most noticeably it makes white not as "clear" and bright.

Are videos supposed to have slightly lighter colours when upscaled, or is this something that should be avoided?

I also found an AviSynth script for upscaling but it also seems to mess with the colours, but in the other direction (seems to make stuff "brighter" for lack of a better term), and it doesn't do a great job of upscaling compared to the "Theia" ones.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mr. Computer Geek dannyboy48888's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    When resizing in avisynth I just use spline64resize(w,h) for everything. Never noticed color issues as I do it last in the filter chain. Others may have their favorite.
    if all else fails read the manual
    Quote Quote  
  3. I also found an AviSynth script for upscaling ..
    Without details what the script looked like with that settings and source how should one properly answer the question.

Resizing should not 'mess with the colours', wild guess would be that it's either:
    • a PC vs TV scaling issue
    • missing or wrong vui flags
    • a wrong YUV<>RGB conversion
    • playback problem
    or a combination of those

Cu Selur
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  4. And you usually want to convert colors from rec.601 to rec.709 when upscaling DVDs.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    I also found an AviSynth script for upscaling ..
    Without details what the script looked like with that settings and source how should one properly answer the question.

Resizing should not 'mess with the colours', wild guess would be that it's either:
    • a PC vs TV scaling issue
    • missing or wrong vui flags
    • a wrong YUV<>RGB conversion
    • playback problem
    or a combination of those

Cu Selur
    I think the weird colour thing was a VUI issue like on the other thread, however I do have another problem I didn't notice before.

There is a weird "film reel" line down one side of the video, it wasn't there in the original. Picture of what I mean here: https://imgur.com/a/AQWShRi Only on the right side

The scrip I am using is:

Code:
    # clean sharp 720x480, 4:3 source
    LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth+\plugins64\aWarpsharpMT.dll")
    LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth+\plugins64\nnedi3.dll")
    LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth+\plugins64\ffms2.dll")

FFmpegSource2("E:\Video Editing\Star Wars\testin\clones\Star Wars Episode II Attack of the Clones.mkv", vtrack = -1, atrack = -2, timecodes="timecodes_file.txt")

nnedi3_rpow2(2, cshift="Spline36Resize", fwidth=720, fheight=576)
    aWarpSharp2(depth=3)
    Sharpen(0.3)
    nnedi3_rpow2(2, cshift="Spline36Resize", fwidth=1440, fheight=1152)
    aWarpSharp2(depth=5)
    Sharpen(0.5)
    I am using virtual dub, settings here: https://imgur.com/a/dbrj0p6.

MediaInfo for files before and after: https://we.tl/t-HTCezPRV1Z

The weird effect happens in any video player.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    And you usually want to convert colors from rec.601 to rec.709 when upscaling DVDs.
    Is that just a case of clicking here: https://imgur.com/a/SMeGvd2 in the options, or do you need to do something more complicated?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by bradwiggo View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    And you usually want to convert colors from rec.601 to rec.709 when upscaling DVDs.
    Is that just a case of clicking here: https://imgur.com/a/SMeGvd2 in the options, or do you need to do something more complicated?
    Maybe. I don't know that software. For best practice you want to convert to rec.709 and also flag the video as rec.709 -- usually found in the encoder settings. That way not only does the upscaled video have rec.709 colors the video stream explicitly tells the player/decoder the colors are rec.709. That way you have the best chance the video will be displayed correctly.
    Quote Quote  
  8. About the ragged line, I suspect it's simply over scan which you didn't notice before,..
    Anyways since this has nothing to do with Hybrid, I'm off.

Cu Selur
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    About the ragged line, I suspect it's simply over scan which you didn't notice before,..
    Anyways since this has nothing to do with Hybrid, I'm off.

Cu Selur
    I'm not sure what you mean, it's not on the OG video file, I compared them side by side, did you see the pic, it seems to be part of the video. How do you get rid of it?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by bradwiggo View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Maybe. I don't know that software. For best practice you want to convert to rec.709 and also flag the video as rec.709 -- usually found in the encoder settings. That way not only does the upscaled video have rec.709 colors the video stream explicitly tells the player/decoder the colors are rec.709. That way you have the best chance the video will be displayed correctly.

Thanks, I'll do that when I do the final processing of my videos.

Do you know what could be causing the weird film effect at the edge of the screen? I posted a screenshot it in my comment to Selur
    Quote Quote  
  11. You need to inverse telecine or deinterlace before upscaling.
    Quote Quote