VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello. I digitized some Blu-ray discs, and ran into a problem with normal playback on my android tv. Normally, I use a vlc player, it is ideal for android tv, and it also has LAN support.
    But it turned out that some of my Blu-ray discs use the VC1 codec, so the VLC player plays video with strong lags. I tried to use different players, but none of them fit.

Probably, there are some methods for converting from VC 1 to some other codec, and most importantly, without loss! There is a lot of space on my HDD, or could you recommend a good player for Android TV that can play VC1?

I will be glad to any help in this matter. thank!
    Quote Quote  
  2. You can try to convert VC1 to h.264 (a.k.a. AVC) - this is best video codec in terms of support.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    You can try to convert VC1 to h.264 (a.k.a. AVC) - this is best video codec in terms of support.
    But it will definitely be without loss? and how can i do it?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    AVC is lossless when encoded at a Constant Rate Factor of zero. Otherwise, you can try a lossless codec like HuffYUV.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try MX Player and add the Tegra 3 codec pack. I use MX Player without Tegra 3 and find it plays most files better than VLC. Haven't tried a VC-1 file. Not even sure I have one.
    Quote Quote  
  6. If you use a lossless codec you won't get any losses but your VC1 source will grow 10 times larger -- and there's no guarantee your Android TV will play it. You will get reduced quality re-encoding with any lossy codec. The issue is whether or not it's visible to you.

You should encode with x264 in CRF mode somewhere between 10 and 20, with a slow preset. The lower the CRF the higher the quality and the larger the file will be. At the low end you will be hard pressed to see any differences even A/B switching enlarged still frames. The size of the video will likely be in the same ballpark as your VC1 source. At the high end you will see minor differences when examining still frames but won't notice on casual viewing. The file will likely be much smaller than the VC1 source.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Carotis_Interna View Post
    Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    You can try to convert VC1 to h.264 (a.k.a. AVC) - this is best video codec in terms of support.
    But it will definitely be without loss? and how can i do it?
    Loss is unavoidable but more important is if you can perceive loss - if you can't distinguish quality between then there is no less subjectively even if loss is present in objective criteria. Most of very demanding people encode h.264 with CRF around 12 .. 16 with virtually no loss.

There is many programs that can do re-encoding - personally i would go for ffmpeg but this is command line application and may not support in easy way required (potentially) video/audio processing.
    Quote Quote