VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi everyone!

I'm trying to film educational videos for children that feature toys as the set pieces and the actors and I am having trouble keeping things focused and clear throughout the scenes. I think part of the problem may be my technique although I know a lot of it is likely my equipment. Even still, I'd like to improve my technique if possible.

I am just using a Cannon Powershot on a tripod to film small toys moving around on a table with a white background. I'm filming pretty close up, most of my shots are 2-4 feet high and it's all live action video. (I've considered trying some stop motion)

Any recommendations on technique?

Any recommendations on equipment?
    I actually plan on getting a better setup when I can find some recommendations for my circumstances.
    See my other thread: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/390137-Seeking-Camera-Advice-Beginner-filming-small-objects-toys

Background: I have a little bit of photography and filming experience, but I’m basically a beginner.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Turn off autofocus if possible. Use LOTS of light. That worked with film cameras as you get a smaller aperture and more depth of field for better focus range.
    With video cameras, probably others here would have better advice.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    In agreement with alfresco, and to add: look up "macro focus" to see how you might decrease the focal distance to fit your closer, smaller scene, using diopters, extenders, reversing lenses, etc.
    However, you'll be hard-pressed to find a standard, inexpensive, off-the-shelf solution that works natively with that camera. That's just not what it was designed for. Think DSLRs.
    But much depends on the kind of foreground vs. background magification, and field of view, you are intending for your shots, as it isn't impossible to also do these scenes from further away but just zoomed in more.

Learn to get EXACT with your settings and your focal distance measurements (lighting exposure, too). If not for appropriateness & accuracy of compensation, at least for documentation and reproduceability.

Scott
    Quote Quote