VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks to the assistance you provided to me a little while ago I am trying to transfer a bunch of family videos that are on Mini DV to my computer via firewire cable with Win DV. My camcorder was stolen years ago so I borrowed a friend's camcorder to do this but I kept getting an "cleaning error." I purchased a cleaning tape and I also followed some clearing tips I found online. Nothing I did would get it work so I purchased a slightly used camcorder and tried that but I am getting a very similar error message. Every time I try to play a tape, I get a cleaning error message.

I am now trying to figure out what the issue is and what I can do. Is it possible two camcorders, even after multiple cleanings are still too dirty to play the tapes? Is there a place I could send it to to be professionally cleaned? I understand the camcorders get dirty from playing the tapes but can old tapes get a freshly cleaned camcorder that dirty that quick? Could the problem be with the tapes and if so, what can I do. It it possible both camcorders are no good which means I should return the one I just purchased and purchase another one?

I am divorced and my kids and I would really like to see some videos from they were kids but I have about 30 tapes and simple don't have a grand $$ to drop at Legacy box to have these videos transferred by them. ANY help, input or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Your tapes are shedding and clogging the video heads. This is a problem with the metal formulas of that era. It may help to wind the tapes end-to-end a few times to shake out the loose bits. It that doesn't work, they need to be cleaned in a special machine, provided they can be saved at all.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    Your tapes are shedding and clogging the video heads. This is a problem with the metal formulas of that era. It may help to wind the tapes end-to-end a few times to shake out the loose bits. It that doesn't work, they need to be cleaned in a special machine, provided they can be saved at all.
    Thanks for the info, I think. LOL. Where can I get these tapes cleaned if the FF/RW doesn't do it? And, any idea on the cost per tape?

Thanks again
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Yeah, sorry to be the bearer of potentially bad news. I don't know who cleans MiniDV these days. Perhaps someone else will chime in.

Problem with dry cleaning tapes is that they leave a lot of junk in the machine. You can often clean the heads just by playing a stretch of good tape. Otherwise, the tape path should be swabbed with alcohol to remove debris.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks again!

Side question, does anyone know of another service, one that is more reasonable with the costs, than legacy box? I am thinking they might be better equipped to handle this.
    Quote Quote