VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,
    There are so many many software around to convert or extract audio from video files.
    But I need the one which DOES NOT convert at all, and just extract the exact same audio from video file WITHOUT quality loss!
    Most of videos are in mp4 format, but I also have some vob and web video format as well?

I also have a question:
    I bought the software from x265.org and it has Windows Media Player x64 included, if there a x64 version of Windows Media Player, where I can get its standalone installer for Win10 1803?
    Cheers.
    Quote Quote  
  2. you can use ffmpeg however as you not providing details about audio coding type then using container that recognize various audio coding methods seem to be most safe way to deal with your problem.

try something like:
    Code:
    ffmpeg -hide_banner -stats -i %1 -vn -dn -sn -c:a? copy -f matroska "%~n1_audio.mkv"
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can use ffmpeg in CLI mode but Audacity will do this and itr's a HELL of a lot easier.

I actually discovered this almost by accident ... or frustration? But if you open a video file in Audacity it will simply load the audio stream, or if there are more than one I'm guessing it'll ask to select the one you want. Never tried it with multi audio streams though.

After import, just go to file > export audio and pick the correct file type/extension and save. I've done this many times with music video. No conversion is done unless you want it, and if so it's an excellent converter/editor too.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Hoser Rob View Post
    You can use ffmpeg in CLI mode but Audacity will do this and itr's a HELL of a lot easier.

I actually discovered this almost by accident ... or frustration? But if you open a video file in Audacity it will simply load the audio stream, or if there are more than one I'm guessing it'll ask to select the one you want. Never tried it with multi audio streams though.

After import, just go to file > export audio and pick the correct file type/extension and save. I've done this many times with music video. No conversion is done unless you want it, and if so it's an excellent converter/editor too.
    Are you sure? Audacity support elementary stream edition without decompression and encoding? Not sure if Audacity can be easier than just regular drag & drop... but who knows, perhaps i'm wrong on this.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Avisynth - the Rube Goldberg method of doing EVERYTHING.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Hi ,

Try :

ffmpeg -i your_video

You'll get infos about streams inside your_video .

Cheers .
    JE SUIS CHARLIE !!!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by omidsolo View Post
    Hi,
    There are so many many software around to convert or extract audio from video files.
    But I need the one which DOES NOT convert at all, and just extract the exact same audio from video file WITHOUT quality loss!
    Most of videos are in mp4 format, but I also have some vob and web video format as well?

I also have a question:
    I bought the software from x265.org and it has Windows Media Player x64 included, if there a x64 version of Windows Media Player, where I can get its standalone installer for Win10 1803?
    Cheers.
    Try MKVToolNix. It's quick and easy. Using Mediainfo., I compared the audio information for the video and audio files separately and they look 100% identical. Internet research says "lossless" format is what you want. "Lossy" loses a very small bit of information. My VOB (dvd source) had lossy compression and the extracted audio had lossy compression as well. I suspect if my DVD source would have been lossless, the extract audio would also have been lossless using MKVToolNix. I'm still new to this so wait for others to confirm my results.

https://www.videohelp.com/software/MKVToolNix

Click image for larger version

Name:	Audio Extract a.png
Views:	174
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	45564

Mediainfo (DVD Source, VOB File)
    Code:
    Audio
    ID                                       : 189 (0xBD)-128 (0x80)
    Format                                   : AC-3
    Format/Info                              : Audio Coding 3
    Muxing mode                              : DVD-Video
    Duration                                 : 21 min 41 s
    Bit rate mode                            : Constant
    Bit rate                                 : 192 kb/s
    Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
    Channel positions                        : Front: L R
    Sampling rate                            : 48.0 kHz
    Frame rate                               : 31.250 FPS (1536 SPF)
    Bit depth                                : 16 bits
    Compression mode                         : Lossy
    Stream size                              : 29.8 MiB (4%)
    Service kind                             : Complete Main

Mediainfo (extract audio)
    Code:
    Audio
    ID                                       : 1
    Format                                   : AC-3
    Format/Info                              : Audio Coding 3
    Codec ID                                 : A_AC3
    Duration                                 : 21 min 41 s
    Bit rate mode                            : Constant
    Bit rate                                 : 192 kb/s
    Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
    Channel positions                        : Front: L R
    Sampling rate                            : 48.0 kHz
    Frame rate                               : 31.250 FPS (1536 SPF)
    Bit depth                                : 16 bits
    Compression mode                         : Lossy
    Stream size                              : 29.8 MiB (100%)
    Service kind                             : Complete Main
    Default                                  : Yes
    Forced                                   : No
    Quote Quote  
  8. DVDs always use lossy compression schemes (MPEG2, AC3, DTS, MP2). But copying that data isn't doing any additional loss.

Like if you rip an old-school Audio CD (PCM) on your PC to MP3 format you have some loss because MP3 is a lossy format. But if you copy that MP3 file from your PC to your MP3 player there is no extra loss - copying the file itself is a lossless process. It's the same with using mkvmerge on a VOB, it just copies the "lossy" data already inside the VOB without creating additional loss.
    Quote Quote