VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Xilisoft Video Converter Ultimate doesn's use CABAC.

Mediainfo: "Format settings, CABAC : No"

My profile:

And another question - "BAV Safe Scan", what is it? Format Factory has that function
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What are you doing?

Use a x264 gui where you can specify all codec settings instead.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Baldrick
    I want to join two videos, not to rip Blu-Ray
    No matter, Format Factory can do it
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I don't see what cabac settings has to do with any joining....
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    People still install FormatFactory despite the warning that it messes up the system...

CABAC (...AC = Arithmetic Coding) is not supported by all AVC (H.264) encoders, especially if you count in hardware (encoder chips). Regarding x264, baseline profile or ultrafast preset or fastdecode tuning disable CABAC, but it should be enabled for most other situations.

Some tools may avoid joining AVC clips encoded with obviously different attributes. Recoding might be required in such cases, but will reduce the quality further.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    I posted: FormatFactory can do it - join two videos and output video: "Format settings, CABAC : Yes"
    I deleted Xilisoft, but Xilisoft was better in embedding animation subs (.ass) to mp4 container, but quality of video more important thing
    Baldrick program joins two videos with encoding, why not use cabac?
    ffmpeg can't correctly join some of my videos (mp4 x264) without re-encoding (but some can), so I use FormatFactory

Originally Posted by LigH.de View Post
    despite the warning that it messes up the system.
    it's fun
    what exactly do FF do with OS?)
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    If one AVC video stream was encoded with CABAC and another was encoded with CAVLC, then there is a good reason not to join them, because a decoder may fail as soon as the encoding algorithm switches at the joint. Some decoders may set up only once and trust that the setup doesn't change until the end. Declining to join clips with remarkably different attributes makes sense.

Some converter software pretends to be freeware, but instead installs "Possibly Unwanted Programs" (like browser toolbars) if you don't know how to avoid that, or even changes media system interna in Windows (like installing unnecessary DirectShow filters or changing their merits unpredictably). Bad examples are Format Factory or Erightsoft SUPER. Really clean freeware converters are e.g. Hybrid, StaxRip, MeGUI
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    you write obvious things...

If one AVC video stream was encoded with CABAC and another was encoded with CAVLC
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/368314-Merge-mp4-files-without-reencoding-with-Virt...02#post2373102

Some converter software pretends to be freeware, but instead installs "Possibly Unwanted Programs" (like browser toolbars
    for e.g. crap-program "freemake video converter" installs all this stuff (toolbars, search etc.)
    but what about FormatFactory 3.6.0.0? I didn't install any of this crap

Hybrid, StaxRip, MeGUI
    usually these programs use for rip dvd, bluray or convert dvdrip bdrip for another quality
    I mentioned: "joining video" and "embedding animation subs - .ass"
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    So the problem is not that one video uses CABAC and another doesn't? So why bother about CABAC at all, if not for equalizing both? If joining is possible at all, then it doesn't matter which attributes either clip had, only that they were similar enough to be accepted. Furthermore, while joining video clips (if that is possible at all), their attributes are preferably not to be changed by recoding, therefore your interest in support of an option which is only relevant for recoding, but not for repacking, is confusing...
    __

From the VideoHelp download page of Format Factory:

NOTE! Format Factory includes a codec pack(optional) that might cause problems with other video software on your computer. Bundleware alert! The installation is bundled with adware like browser toolbars, software offers, etc.
    There are bundles which have to be installed in "Advanced" mode and pre-selected software be unchecked manually to avoid them; people who don't know that and install software in "Basic" mode may get them installed without further notice. I don't know if that happens for FF too, I never used that. I prefer command line tools either directly or with "approved" harmless free software. Trusting first search results is not always wise.
    __

You can use software like MeGUI just as well to only remultiplex a clip and add subtitle streams (at least I am certain for MeGUI, I hardly ever used the others).

But joining clips is a quite unreliable task. The more complex a video format is, the more constraints have to be fulfilled to be successful. I'd recommend to try if MKVmergeGUI can handle them to create a joint MKV, as this should be the most flexible container. Appending one MP4 to another based on MP4Box or ffmpeg will probably be less reliable.

It is not surprising that so few tools support joining clips in a final encoded format. Joining internediate formats with little compression, before the final encode starts, is so much easier, and so much more reliable.
    Quote Quote  
  10. user155 just see totally no difference between remuxing - merging withOUT reencoding and usual reencode merge - transcoding.

But Xilisoft's coders are realy lazy-asses because I asked them about CABAC option in CUDA encodes 3 years ago and gave them datasheets where is clearly written that CUDA video encoding supports CABAC.
    When I used freeware version of Xilisoft and sent them email their cr@ppy Support asked WHAT IS CABAC IN THE FIRST PLACE!
    Also asked what is my license key. After my responce that I use freeware license and that it's a shock they don't know what is CABAC they stopped replying.

Xilisoft is a hole of lazy_itters, it's what I think.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Remember, they did not write any encoder. They only wrote a GUI.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by AjvarXX View Post
    user155 just see totally no difference between remuxing - merging withOUT reencoding and usual reencode merge - transcoding.
    What I are you talking about?
    First I wanted to join two videos without reencoding (using ffmpeg): https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/368314-Merge-mp4-files-without-reencoding-with-Virt...=1#post2372285 . But it failed

Then I decided to join with reencoding (using Xilisoft). But it sucks.

And finally I found a solution to join my videos without reencoding using ffmpeg: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/368314-Merge-mp4-files-without-reencoding-with-Virt...=1#post2376401
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!