VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I ripped the audio, video, and subtitle files to my hard drive using eac3to. It seemed to work fine. However, when I try to re-encode to x264 or x265. I get a bunch of dropped frames from about 55 to 60 minutes. I tried re-ripping the 264 file from the disc with the same results. The disc is brand new right out of the box. I'm using ffmpeg with the "-crf 20" option. Everything else is default. I've tried it multiple times. It probably drops about 30 frames. I didn't have any problems with any of the other star wars movies. Any ideas on how to keep ffmpeg from dropping frames?

I should also mention that I'm using AnyDVD HD.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Did you put the video in a mkv container with eac3to?

Are the frames missing before you encode ? (is it problem with ripping?)

or only after ? (is it a problem with decoding the rip, or encoding?)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    I didn't put the video into an mkv container. I extracted all of the files individually. I'm working with the h264 file by itself. I get the message in ffmpeg "drop 30 dup 14" (those aren't the exact numbers but something like that.) I think that means it's a problem encoding right?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yes, that indicates a problem

ffmpeg can have problems reading from rawavc . I would put it into a container, or use something like makemkv to rip it

If it's in a container, it's also easier to check if there were missing frames in the first place (you can open in something like vdub with mkv plugin , or avidemux easily)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Alright, I put the video and audio into an mkv container and tried again with the same issue. Drops 30 frames with 14 duplicates still. Any ideas why this keeps happening?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Might be a problem with decryption

Did you check the actual files with your eyes ? Both the source (in mkv) and encode ?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    OOPS! Nevermind. It did work when I put it in a container. Why would that be? What's the difference?
    Quote Quote  
  8. The difference is ffmpeg will use container timestamps to go by. Many programs (not just ffmpeg) will have problems decoding elementary streams (not just AVC elementary)
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you so much for your help! I've encoded dozens of movies so far. Strange that this was the first one to have an issue.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Cheers

There is a small chance that it might have been a false alarm, so you could check with your eyes to verify

But it's usually safer to put into a container for most purposes. The exception would be authoring - elementary streams are better
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    No, it wasn't a mistake. I muxed the finished video with the original audio and all of the audio was behind by about a second after the point where the frames were dropped, which would make sense if it lost 30 frames.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!